Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

1 edit

runnoft to Robotics

Premium Member

to Robotics

Re: Your Honest Thoughts On Nero Video Editing Products

Nero products have suffered in consumer reviews for feature bloat which makes the software very resource-intensive (you do not want to try and run their software on outdated or limited laptop-type hardware) and for general bugginess that can be serious enough to crash the program and lose editing work. But so have many other video editing app companies including Corel and Adobe.

Right now Nero is in transition to Nero 12 which is available on their website but not on Amazon. Even without using 12, I personally would steer clear of any major new Nero release until one or two big bugfixes were out, because if you check the user reviews on Amazon for 10 and 11 when they first came out, you will see people describing the software as so buggy to be unusable. They do tend to get more stable a year or so down the road, but IMO it does not pay to be an early adopter (=debugging guinea pig) for major releases from companies like Nero, Adobe, Corel, Intuit (financial software--they're not in the video software business, but they have the same issues with new releases), or Microsoft. Let other people sort the issues out and then try the software later.

I have used Nero 11 for video editing in the past year, and found it to be somewhat stable but still not doing everything it was supposed to do. It has a learning curve, and some things seem to me to be unnecessarily complicated.

There is no consensus on one easy-to-use and -learn and reliable video editing application. They all attract some bad reviews and all have learning curves that can be steep for newbies. A common complaint is video that plays back with an increasing degree of being out-of-sync with the audio. This is apparently a common but not universal Windows hardware-driver issue, but people rake video editing apps over the coals for this one.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

Thank you so much for the information. Good info and advice!

I sure do have to agree on Nero suffering in reviews. Not sure how that company stays in business.
I ran into their forum on their site, and there was almost nothing but, this doesn't work, that doesn't work, etc.
Course that's all you usually see in support forums, but this was different than others I have read over.
And appears their support lacks some.

And one big thing I notice is once you buy that's it. No 30 day guarantee, no refunds...period, if you get direct from them...don't know how amazon deals with that subject.

I suppose I will take a real hard look at Corel. Just wish it wasn't so pricey.

Again, thanks for the informative post