spc
Search similar:

uniqs
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

USB 3.0 pci/pci express card

Can anyone recommend an Ubuntu friendly USB 3.0 pci or pci express card. Preference is for at least two USB 3.0 ports...

Thanks...

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX

rexbinary

Premium Member

Out of curiosity, what will you be doing with your USB 3.0? I have it on my new rig but have yet to find a use for it.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

I have a few USB 3.0 external hard drives...

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
·Frontier FiberOp..

rexbinary

Premium Member

said by vue666:

I have a few USB 3.0 external hard drives...

Very nice! I was thinking about picking up one of these:

»eshop.macsales.com/item/ ··· NVSPATA/

I've got a few raw hard disks laying around the I need to see what is on them and wipe them. This would do the trick.

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

1 recommendation

koitsu to vue666

MVM

to vue666
I know you said Ubuntu/Debian, but here are two cards I can recommend:

Silverstone EC03-P USB 3.0 PCIe (also sometimes known as the EC03B-P)
Silverstone EC04-P USB 3.0 PCIe

I use the EC03B-P on my home Windows XP workstation. The drivers are minimal (as in no fluff/cruft or nonsense).

The EC03-P / EC03B-P are driven by an NEC uPD720202 chip.
The EC04-P is driven by an NEC uPD720201 chip.

I have no idea what the difference between the two NEC chips is.

You can dig through the Linux kernel source or dig up general hardware compatibility docs and confirm these chip are supported.

You might come across the EC04 and consider buying it. Don't. The EC04 uses a TI chipset, while the EC03* and EC04-P use an NEC chipset. Many, many reviews I read on the web indicated that a lot of people had stability issues with the TI chip and that going with the NEC chip solved their issues hands down. I didn't want to take any chances so I went with the NEC.

My experience so far with the EC03B-P card has been rock solid. Not a single oddity or anomaly.

P.S. -- Do not get a PCI USB 3.0 card! 32-bit PCI has a maximum throughput rate of 133MBytes/seconds; USB 3.0 can do up to 625MBytes/second. Be smart and go PCIe or else you're losing out on a very large amount of bandwidth.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by koitsu:

P.S. -- Do not get a PCI USB 3.0 card! 32-bit PCI has a maximum throughput rate of 133MBytes/seconds; USB 3.0 can do up to 625MBytes/second. Be smart and go PCIe or else you're losing out on a very large amount of bandwidth.

Good point.