share rss forum feed

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit

[Serious] Border agent shot; shooter kills self

At the Peace Arch crossing in to Washington State, a Canadian Border agent was shot by an assailant, who then killed himself. The crossing is CLOSED until investigation completed.

»www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/16/us···+Text%29

The Peace Arch crossing on the U.S.-Canada border was closed Tuesday afternoon after a Canadian agent was shot.

Few details were immediately available, but U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesman Mike Milne says the crossing was closed due to police activity on the Canadian side, and the Washington Department of Transportation confirmed on its Twitter feed that traffic was being rerouted due to the shooting of a border agent.

Initial news reports indicated that the female agent was wounded, and that the suspect then fatally shot himself.

Washington state Department of Transportation spokeswoman Kris Olsen said it will be up to Canadian border officials to determine when the crossing will reopen.

"We're telling people they obviously need to use other routes to get across the border," she said, adding that the State Route 543 and State Route 9 entrances were open.

More info: »www.ctvnews.ca/canada/cbsa-says-···1.998401
»www.theglobeandmail.com/news/bri···4616790/
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
Man's that a good drive to the Hospital. Peace Arch isn't a trauma center, so she would be driven to Surrey Memorial some 10 kilometers away.

***Nevermind, airlifted to Royal Colombian, the regions trauma hospital.

--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to FFH5
One can count the number of times CBSA officers have had to draw their weapon in the line of duty in the past two years at the Niagara border crossings on one hand. It is not a job one typically thinks their spouse may not return home from, but this goes to show that the risk is still there. Huge blow for the CBSA is all I can say.

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to FFH5
Ok....I live about 1km from the shooting.

The officer was in her booth or standing in the door when shot. The
suspect (Washington plates on van) shot himself right after shooting
the border guard. She was breathing on her own as she was being
loaded into the helicopter.

FaxCap

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
said by FaxCap:

Ok....I live about 1km from the shooting.

The officer was in her booth or standing in the door when shot. The
suspect (Washington plates on van) shot himself right after shooting
the border guard. She was breathing on her own as she was being
loaded into the helicopter.

FaxCap

I hope her injuries are not life threatening or debilitating and she has a quick recovery.
--

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
She was shot in the neck, the potential Hydrostatic shock would be life threatening.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

said by I_H8_Spam:

She was shot in the neck, the potential Hydrostatic shock would be life threatening.

She's in stable condition and expected to survive.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
said by Gone:

Great news! I hope she gets well soon. Does anyone know why the shooter went wacko-Jacko?

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
said by FiReSTaRT:

said by Gone:

Great news! I hope she gets well soon. Does anyone know why the shooter went wacko-Jacko?

There was initial speculation that it may be a domestic situation. I personally don't believe that as my experience has been that the spouses of female CBSA officers are well adjusted individuals who would never snap like that.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by peterboro:

There was initial speculation that it may be a domestic situation. I personally don't believe that as my experience has been that the spouses of female CBSA officers are well adjusted individuals who would never snap like that.

Men married to CBSA officers know that their wives can kick their ass if they get out of line.
Expand your moderator at work

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to FFH5

Re: [Serious] Border agent shot; shooter kills self

Border Guard in stable condition after being shot.
»www.calgaryherald.com/news/canad···ory.html

The female border guard was airlifted to Royal Columbian Hospital in New Westminster around 2:30 p.m. and was severely injured but still breathing and conscious on evacuation, he said. She is listed as in stable condition.

The border crossing is expected to remain closed until 4 p.m. Wednesday, according to DriveBC.

--

FaxCap

Surrey, BC
reply to FFH5
A representative of the border guard's union says the man shot
himself and the bullet went through him and into the officer.

FaxCap

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Jesus what kind of weapon was he using?

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
said by Gone:

said by FaxCap:

FaxCap

whoa, Thats a rare one! I'm wagering the rounds won't be hollow point for that to occur, probably a 9mm or .38.
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

FaxCap

News story on this theory. And identifying the agent that was shot.
»www.seattlepi.com/local/komo/art···7061.php
--

FaxCap

Surrey, BC

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5
Good news.....CKNW just said....

The CBSA says the border guard shot in the neck at the Peace
Arch crossing remains in stable condition and is expected to make a
full recovery.

FaxCap

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by FaxCap:

FaxCap

News story on this theory. And identifying the agent that was shot.
»www.seattlepi.com/local/komo/art···7061.php

And it looks like they know who the shooter is, but haven't publicly identified him yet.
»www.kitsapsun.com/news/2012/oct/···ived-in/
--

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
I wonder if they will reconsider bearing arms at the border....

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Reconsider what, exactly? CBSA officers have been armed for nearly a decade now.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

I wonder if they will reconsider bearing arms at the border....

They've had sidearms for a while.
In the summer they also have bare arms.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

Reconsider what, exactly? CBSA officers have been armed for nearly a decade now.

Close but not completely accurate... less then half are armed...

quote:
SURREY, B.C. - Public Safety Minister Vic Toews says he's not interested in speeding up the arming of border guards, despite the shooting Tuesday that sent a guard at a B.C. crossing to hospital with a gunshot wound.

The Canada Border Services Agency said in 2006 that it planned to arm its 4,800 guards within 10 years and so far, just under half have been trained.

Read more: »www.montrealgazette.com/news/Bor···9aaj1M9i

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

said by vue666:

Close but not completely accurate... less then half are armed...

... and you don't know the whole story of how the arming process of the CBSA was undertaken or the context of those numbers, either.

Officers who were hired prior to mandatory firearm training are given the option to not arm themselves and continue to use just a baton and pepper spray. Anyone hired after the arming of the service has no choice and has to carry a firearm a requirement of the job. The ones who chose not to arm will eventually be replaced through attrition.

It is impossible for the CBSA to force existing officers to be armed as it was not a requirement when they were hired. Most of the guys who refuse to be armed are in their 50s or 60s getting close to retirement and end up getting dumped off into immigration which is not a front-line job. Older guys also tend to be higher-ranking officers posted "inside" who wouldn't be exposed to the front-line dangers that would require a firearm. There are also plenty of other inside jobs that don't require being armed with a firearm. My wife works inside. She is not armed.

So, in other words, they ARE armed. You just don't know enough about it to be able to understand the context of a newspaper article like that.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

honestly, depending on where he shot himself, and what with, a bullet penetration through a human body isn't really that difficult...in many cases where people are shot, it is quite common for the bullet to have an entrance and exit wound...a small calibre bullet (or hollowpoint/defensive style round) may get lodged/deflected by some stronger structural bone material, but a vast part of the body is fairly "soft and squishy" with flesh and organs...there isn't much there to stop a bullet, in many cases.

EDIT: DOH, just read I_H8_Spam's comment right after.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

FaxCap

Surrey, BC
reply to FFH5
BC Coroner says the suspect in the Peace Arch border shooting has
been identified as a 32 year old named Andrew Michael Crews.

FaxCap

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13

1 edit
reply to FFH5
This story says the officer was not armed because she was a very new employee and had not yet completed the firearm training.

(EDIT: See link in later post).

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by PX Eliezer70:

This story says the officer was not armed because she was a very new employee and had not yet completed the firearm training.

That is completely untrue. By the time a new recruit has gone through "boot camp" at Rigaud they would already be trained and certified to use a firearm.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been

join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac
Even if she were armed, could this have been prevented? She's expecting the standard visitor interaction... where are you going, how long, etc, and bang!

An OPP officer friend told me a story of being in a training session at a police facility. The trainer said that they were going to observe him making a routine traffic stop. As he stood beside the car, the window rolled down, and the driver pulled a gun. My friend said he froze, didn't immediately go for his own gun, and had it been a real situation he wasn't sure if he would react differently.

I hope that that we never get to the point that every interaction with the police or border guard is with them with one hand on their gun. I would like to survive reaching for my wallet.

This was an unfortunate incident; I hope it is isolated and that it is proven that he was killing himself - unintentionally wounding the guard. Bad as that is, knowing that the border guard was not the intended victim makes this a different story altogether.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by PX Eliezer70:

That is completely untrue. By the time a new recruit has gone through "boot camp" at Rigaud they would already be trained and certified to use a firearm.

Obviously I believe you, you would know because of your wife.

But this is what I read, perhaps it is an example of some big miscommunication.

Roslyn MacVicar, the boarder agency’s regional director for the Pacific region, said Bowcock completed her training with the agency in July and was deployed to the region. She hadn’t yet completed the training that would allow her to carry a firearm.

“I know everyone within our organization is thinking about Lori and wishing her well,” MacVicar said in the statement.

»news.nationalpost.com/2012/10/17···-motive/

--------------------------

I know that Canadians spell things differently but I was surprised to see the National Post say:

boarder agency

Or are they just idiots at the National Post?