how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Melissa2009B

join:2009-12-27
Denver, CO
reply to JohnInSJ

Re: [Rant] I want to add Voice but they won't let me!

said by JohnInSJ:

said by kara :

Real fact of voip phone service if cable connetion drops due to power or cable outages. Pray you don't need a 911 call during the time. Voip does not work like old copper wired line that sent live powerfeed on wiring. People forget this important fact and if you send the time reading the terms of service all the company cover their butts on this. Boring reading yes but from legal you need to read it

Right, if you lose cable, *and* all the cell towers are down, you won't be able to call 911 along with everyone else in a 10 mile radius from where the disaster hit. Yeah. Indeed if you need phone contact for life support, use twisted pair. And in our neighborhood hope the rats haven't eaten your pair overnight.

Indeed. Well the ultimate in emergency communications is ham radio and I happen to be KW0WW, but don't have a HF rig at the moment. But I DO have and old HTX-202 2 meter HT. LOL

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO
reply to medbuyer
Electronics Tehnician with an ASET ( Associate in Science in Electronics Technology ) from 1969. LOL I worked as an R&D Technician for 27 years, until it left the country around 1993.

dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA
PhonePower works good for me. Based in California and can port in your number. Cheaper than CDV and very reliable. Good luck. CDV does have better sound quality than PhonePower, but less features as well. »www.PhonePower.com

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
said by dplantz:

PhonePower works good for me. Based in California and can port in your number. Cheaper than CDV and very reliable. Good luck. CDV does have better sound quality than PhonePower, but less features as well. »www.PhonePower.com

Plus, you can use your PP account with any SIP client. So your "home phone" can come with you when you travel. Which is neat.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO

1 edit
Whatever that is, ok.

I wish they could replace RingCentral for us. We have that for simultaneous ring and fax-to-email, but they're too expensive.

Gee, I just chatted with them and this almost sounds too good to be true! They said they can, AND probably port our 800 number for voice and fax, and do simultaneous ring!

Transcript:

[4:32 PM] Melissa:Do you, by chance, offer fax to email, and simultaneous ring?
[4:32 PM] Melissa:cool
[4:32 PM] Courtney:We offer all of those for free
[4:32 PM] Melissa:Seriously?
[4:32 PM] Courtney:there are 40+ free features with our service
[4:32 PM] Courtney:The most popular is our free softphone
[4:32 PM] Courtney:most providers charge $9.95 a month for theirs.
[4:33 PM] Melissa:We currently have simultaneous ring and fax to email with Ring Central and it's expensive
[4:33 PM] Melissa:But we have two 800 numbers
[4:33 PM] Melissa:1 for voice and 1 for fax
[4:34 PM] Courtney:Those features are free with our service. We can transfer your 800 numbers. There is a one time $5 activation fee, it is $5 a month, and 4 cents/min for all inbound calls.
[4:34 PM] Melissa:not sure if we can port those from Ring Central though.
[4:34 PM] Courtney:We can surely try
[4:35 PM] Melissa:We could do without the 800 numbers but all our clients have the
m
[4:35 PM] Courtney:Well, it shouldn't be an issue to transfer them

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to Melissa2009B
said by Melissa2009B:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Melissa2009B:

The only reason I'd get rid of the land line ( besides the lack of reliability ) is if digital was of equal or BETTER quality. From what I've heard in recent years, some VOIP can really stink. But I heard that Comcast's Voice was much better, in fact better than my land line. I'd like to see, but not with as hard as they make it. It's like the sole purpose of their site and phone people is to get rid of customers?

Ever considered a pure VOIP provider? I'm very happy with (the much cheaper) phonepower.

I don't even know how all that works. But now that we have cable internet, at 12 megs, I guess it could be as reliable as the land line ( in our case more so! ).

Your an electronics tech and don't know how it works? But yet you are looking at CDV? Uh yah okay.

steve1a
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-07
Berkeley, CA
reply to Melissa2009B
I purchased a Ooma Telo to hook up with my Comcast HSI-

My rates are just for state & local taxes which = $3.99 a month
for unlimited nationwide calling with crystal clear reception.
»www.ooma.com

The Telo unit is $179. up front but quickly pays for itself

I have a $40 off promo code for new customers if any one is interested.

scootertejas

@cebridge.net
Hell for $129 you can get 2 years of VOIPo, unlimited LD in the USA and Canada, free adapter, free activation, and easy to port your number. I have used them for 4 years without a glitch. Read the VOIP forums on this site, using Comcast voice is just not a good deal.

»www.voipo.com/

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

besides, I agree with owlyn See Profile said...

said by owlyn:

They have to send a tech out to make sure it is working to ensure you have access to 911.

This is not true.

I did not need a tech to visit my home when I added Comcast Digital Voice back in May of this year. I was already a High Speed Internet and Cable TV subscriber. I had phone service with AT&T. I had a cable modem, but it was not an eMTA. It was a standard cable modem (Scientific Atlanta By Cisco, model # DPC2100R2).

So, I walked into my local Comcast office, and asked them to add Comcast Digital Voice to my account. They looked on the system, saw what I had, gave me a self-install kit, and told me to go home, swap the modems. The modem that was in the self-install kit was a Thomson Internet Voice Modem, Model # DHG536. I told them also that I wanted to port my existing number from AT&T, and I told them what that number was. They said that would take 3 to 4 business day to do. When that was done, I would have to call them back. Finally, they told me to return my existing rented modem to the local office.

So, I went home, powered off my existing modem, and hooked up my new one. Called Comcast, and went through the activation process. I was up and running for the internet side in about 20 minutes. I then went back to the local office, returned my old modem, and said everything is working great.

3 business days later, my existing phone service from AT&T stopped working. So, I again called Comcast, and went through the activation process over the phone to make sure that Comcast Digital phone service was working. That call took about 15 minutes.

When it was all said and done, I only had to pay a one time fee of like $20.

NO TECH VISITED MY HOME for the entire process.

So, unless things are different from market to market, I don't know why people keep saying a tech visit is required when you set up Comcast Digital Voice, even if you use a self-install kit. If one was, then how did I do it without one?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
said by plencnerb:

So, unless things are different from market to market, I don't know why people keep saying a tech visit is required when you set up Comcast Digital Voice, even if you use a self-install kit. If one was, then how did I do it without one?

--Brian

They keep saying it because (at least for CDV) at one time it was a requirement. The primary reason was to make sure that if the customer wanted to distribute the CDV FXS connection over the existing inside telco wiring, the tech would make sure that the existing inside telco wiring was properly disconnected. But apparently, Comcast finally realized that other VoIP services were not doing that (and generally had no problems because of it), and so they have now dropped the on-site tech install requirement.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by NetFixer:

said by plencnerb:

--Brian

They keep saying it because (at least for CDV) at one time it was a requirement. The primary reason was to make sure that if the customer wanted to distribute the CDV FXS connection over the existing inside telco wiring, the tech would make sure that the existing inside telco wiring was properly disconnected. But apparently, Comcast finally realized that other VoIP services were not doing that (and generally had no problems because of it), and so they have now dropped the on-site tech install requirement.

Could be, but plancnerb's experience was similar to mine (this was last March).

I already had limited Comcast cable tv service, as it is provided free via my apartment complex.

To add Comcast internet and voice, all I did was call in and have a self-install kit sent out. I have yet to have an on-site tech visit, so at least in my area, self-install of voice with an eMTA is not an issue.
--
Deeds, not words

Mother again

@comcast.net
reply to kara
Even though ATT line is out of service, there is still dial tone for 911. They are required to keep 911 alive. We have an old ATT princess phone just in case our backup battery (UPS) fails and our cell phones die.

We have used Ooma Core for 3 years with no problems.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Mother again :

Even though ATT line is out of service, there is still dial tone for 911. They are required to keep 911 alive...

That would be something that varies from area to area. Both of my former AT&T lines are totally dead; no dial tone, and not even the 48 volt battery level from the CO. As I recall, there was still a dial tone for a few months after I terminated the service, but as soon as new service for another customer served from the same cross box was required, the wire pairs were disconnected at the cross box and wired to the new customer(s).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.