how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aboutisps

@torservers.net
reply to rchrd

Re: Would You Recommend Sonic.Net ?

For me, if it was between Sonic.net and AT&T, Sonic.net easily wins, unless Sonic.net is so much ridiculously more expensive than AT&T that cost becomes a problem.

Pros:
+Sonic.net cares about user privacy. There's no doubt about that. Even the EFF has recognized them for this. I actually feel that I can trust Sonic.net with my data, which is not something I can say for most ISPs.

+Sonic.net has a stellar reputation for support. I personally cannot speak to this, not because Sonic.net's support has been bad, but because I have never needed technical support. I can usually just fix things on my own. The only exception is if there's a line problem. But a quick search on DSLR will reveal that most users rate Sonic.net's support very highly indeed. I highly doubt AT&T users can say the same.

Cons:
-Sonic.net forces all new customers to rent their modem. In other words, if you are a new Sonic.net customer, you won't be allowed to use your own modem. Instead, you will be forced to pay a monthly fee to rent out their modem. This has been debated before, and the justifications for doing so are arguably shaky.

Users basically argue that the fee amounts to a disingenuous price increase, and that they should be given the freedom to use their own equipment. Sonic.net claims that renting modems to everyone makes providing support for everyone easy, and that it is necessary to compete with other ISPs that also do the same thing.

In the big picture, even a person as displeased as myself will grudgingly admit that the positives far outweigh this one big negative. If privacy and support are important to you, I would go with Sonic.net.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by aboutisps :

Users basically argue that the fee amounts to a disingenuous price increase, and that they should be given the freedom to use their own equipment.

AFAIK, being forced to rent doesn't preclude use of personally owned CPE. I am seriously looking at alternatives to the rented Pace 4111N, which is much less configurable than my old D-Link DIR-655 and a basic ADSL2+ bridge.

But the fee is unsatisfactory, especially when using one's own CPE.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

ddruker

join:2000-08-13
Palo Alto, CA
Duplicate post deleted...