join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Steam URL protocol can be abused to exploit vulnerabilities

»www.computerworld.com/s/article/···can_be_a
bused_to_exploit_vulnerabilities_in_games_researchers_say?taxonomyId=17

"Attackers can trick gamers into opening malicious steam:// URLs that exploit security issues in games to execute malicious code..."
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

The potential for abuse against Steam users seems pretty broad:

quote:
... the Steam protocol's "retailinstall" command can be used to load a malformed TGA splash image file that exploits a vulnerability in the Steam client to execute malicious code in the context of its process...
... a steam:// URL can be used to execute legitimate commands found in Valve's Source game engine in order to write a .bat file with attacker-controlled content inside of Windows Startup folder.
... Another popular game engine called Unreal supports the loading of files from remote WebDAV or SMB shared directories through command line parameters. A rogue steam:// URL can be used to load a malicious file from such a location that exploits one of the many integer overflow vulnerabilities found in the game engine to execute malicious code...
... The auto-update feature found in some games like APB Reloaded or MicroVolts can also be abused through steam:// URLs to create files with attacker-controlled content on the disk...
... Earlier this month Valve started to distribute select non-gaming software titles through Steam. Vulnerabilities found in such applications might also be exploitable through steam:// URLs...
For malware authors, it opens up a rich field of targets.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775