spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dexter1992

join:2010-07-16
Winona, MN

Locking the Novatel U760 in EVDO-Only Mode(Millenicom)

Hi all, it's been awhile since I have been on the forums. I have been periodically checking them. Anyway, so I have a friend that is using the 20GB Advanced Plan through Millenicom, Verzion obviously. He has the Novatel U760, is there anyway to lock this thing in EVDO Only mode? For some reason, I do not think there is.

Also, if anyone has a REVISION 6 Cyfre AMP that they would like to sell, my friend would like to buy one without spending an arm and a leg. It has to be the new black one, that doesn't require a splitter, he needs the extra kick.

That's all, thanks.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
with Novatel no, with Sierra Wireless yes.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
said by Jim_in_VA:

with Novatel no, with Sierra Wireless yes.

I am not sure what you mean by this. I think you are saying you can't with Novatel modems, only with Sierra Wireless modems. Anyway, I did figure out how to lock his Novatel USB760 into EVDO-Only mode for use with the 20GB Advanced Plan(Millenicom) Via Verizon. The default manager the modem installed was called "MobileLink", under the modem settings you can select EVDO-Only.

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
Good point Dexter. You can do that with MobileLink, not with VZAccess. A good bit of info to know. Thanks for that.
--

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
Yeah no problem, I have never heard of MobileLink before, so it was random to me, it's a good little manager.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
reply to Dexter1992
Alright, so I have some confusing results. My friend lives in a valley like mine that has practically no signal. He originally was going to go the BYOD plan with Sprint, but after not being able to pull a signal below -90dbm with a Sprint 598U(Locked in Evdo-Only Mode), with a Cyfre Amp, and a 2.4Ghz grid antenna, he went to try Verzion. So he bought the Novatel U760 with Millenicom and the Advanced Plan. He got no signal with the Cyfre Amp/ Grid Antenna combination, well that's obviously because Verizon is using 850Mhz near him. So I let him try the Cyfre Amp with the the Omni Antenna that comes with it and he only was getting -96dbm. Anyway, his Dad knew a guy with a 850Mhz Yagi Antenna, and now he is getting -40dbm. I didn't know what to say, I didn't believe it. I though the Yagi wasn't that good, perhaps, I might get instead of the grid.

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
obviously a 2.4 grid is not going to work on 850Mhz, you'd need a 900MHz grid ... which is far superior to a Yagi.
--

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
I know, but his results with the Yagi don't make sense unless the Omni antenna is crap.

Cyfre/(Dual Band)Omni -96dbm

Cyfre/(850Mhz)Yagi -40dbm

?

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
apparently he has hit the tower spot-on with the Yagi. Can't do that with an Omni, it takes in noise 360 degrees, the Yagi does not.
--

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
Well the funny thing is there is no tower in sight, however, he has a clear view straight to the bluffs, I guess he just hit a good spot.

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..
remember, a directional antenna (Yagi, grid) directs all the energy in one direction. A Omni tries to find anything within 360 degrees with all the signal noise that goes with it.
--

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
said by Jim_in_VA:

remember, a directional antenna (Yagi, grid) directs all the energy in one direction. A Omni tries to find anything within 360 degrees with all the signal noise that goes with it.

I know, but you must admit -40dbm is really low! I was thinking like a glitch in the manager, but I am glad everything worked out for my friend. He was a previous Dial-up user and now he is getting 0.76Mbps, download, 0.40Mbps upload. So he is happy. And it's thanks to your website Jim, thanks for everything.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
reply to Dexter1992
My friend forgot to tell me that he ditched the Cyfre, and tried a Wilson amp, that's giving him the -40dbm. So I am actually going to have him test the two and give me the results.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
reply to Dexter1992
Performance with the Wilson was drastically better on upload than using the Cyfre for my friend. Cyfre and Yagi gave him a -84dbm, where the Yagi and Wilson gives him -40dbm. I would say the Wilson amp is superior to the Cyfre based on this.

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY
kudos:1
no way , not a direct connect , Check out this independent head to head review.

»www.jackdanmayer.com/Files/Cyfre ··· port.pdf

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
I read that, and even showed it to my friend to convince him to get one. But he knew a guy with the Wilson and a Yagi, and it's giving him far better performance than the Cyfre. I don't know the difference, how they work, quality...etc. I am just reporting my findings, believe me I was kinda surprised and disappointed that he was able to achieve a much better signal than me. Perhaps the guy in the link you gave me, has a different Wilson amp, or his was bad. Cyfre is software driver right? And Wilson is hardware driven?

I guess I could make review of the equipment, Blue Cyfre, Black Cyfre, and Wilson Amp, and report the speed and signal readings in a separate thread. I mainly look at upload with the amps.

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY
If anything he is using a Wilson that amplifier that is meant to be used as a wireless amplifier . That will give you tons of gain but can fry your equipment . Or he has a bad cyfre amplifier or bad adapter . Ask Jim he has tested both . There is no way . Did you do the testing? or you friend ?

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
My friend did, and you know what I am not sure if it's direct connect and could be wireless, when I get it all figured out I will tell post here. He is not easy to get a hold of often. I still think Cyfre is best based on everyone's reviews.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
reply to Dexter1992
I found out the Wilson is a direct connect, has like 50db of gain supposedly.

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY

1 edit
No way , You get it from him and test , Never seen a wilson direct connect with 50 DB gain , Seen lots of tests. He is yanking your chain , LOL Just out of curiosity , what is the model number ?