spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

Disposing of an old cable modem?

When I moved back to Ottawa in 2006, I got stuck with a Webstar cable modem from Vidéotron. I was originally thinking of selling it, but after Vidéotron screwed me over after I sold a digital terminal to a coworker (story a bit too long to explain), I decided to just store it.

I'm moving soon and want to get rid of any crap I no longer use. I was thinking of dropping it in an electronics recycling box at Futureshop or BestBuy. However, that device is technically still registered to me (assuming Vidéotron keep records like that for so long), so I'm wondering: If someone were to take it from the recycling box, could I have some sort of problem if that person tries to use it? I don't think so, but I figured I'd ask here... That bad experience when leaving Vidéotron in 2006 has left me a bit paranoid.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

»www.recycleyourelectroni ··· ult.aspx

I've always dropped off stuff at Staples but like you mentioned there are others too who are taking this stuff.

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy to MichelR

to MichelR
Meh, take a hammer, smash it to bits and toss it in the dumpster.
b_p_smith
Premium Member
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON

b_p_smith to MichelR

Premium Member

to MichelR
You can do both. Render it inoperable, then drop it in the eRecycling bin. Could be as simple as popping open the case and clipping out a chip or two.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to MichelR

to MichelR
said by MichelR:

If someone were to take it from the recycling box, could I have some sort of problem if that person tries to use it?

Worst case, Videotron may deny activation because the owner on record does not match the ID of whoever is attempting to activate it.

Other than that, whoever is paying the service bill is responsible for whatever happens with it.
jobr
join:2004-10-21
Halifax, NS

jobr to MichelR

to MichelR
I know I've seen someone post a list of allowed cable modems on Videotron, but I can't find it at the moment. If that modem is not on the list anymore, you have nothing to worry about.

Like someone else said, if you're really worried, open the case and remove a chip or cut a few connections, then drop it off for recycling.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to MichelR

Premium Member

to MichelR
It's usually a bigger deal to the person trying to use the modem than the person giving it away. Ie, we have seen lots of cases where a new customer gets a modem from a friend, thrift store, garage sale, auction, etc, and it turns out that the modem is either broken or quite often can't be activated because it is stolen (ie a rental that was never returned) and the customer is stuck with a brick. As with any used electronics, make sure you get it from a reputable source with a good return policy. There are several of them active in DSLR that have good feedback.
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig to MichelR

to MichelR
Drill it. Recycle it.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to MichelR

Premium Member

to MichelR
said by MichelR:

so I'm wondering: If someone were to take it from the recycling box, could I have some sort of problem if that person tries to use it? I don't think so, but I figured I'd ask here... That bad experience when leaving Vidéotron in 2006 has left me a bit paranoid.

Very unlikely to ever be a problem for you. However, it is true that it probably won't be useful for a new user for a whole pile of different reasons.

In general, I always explain the issues and encourage customers to attempt to reuse their hardware. Even for garage sale finds and such, if you understand the issues and still want to give it a try, why not?

Way way back, when Teksavvy first started offering cable, I gave a customer a non-returned rental.. Man, did that create a stink Nowadays there are no issues at all, which itself is surprising in a good way.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

Yeah I guess I could just make sure it's disabled. It's very old (about 10 years) and couldn't find any reference to it on the Videotron web site (or their search sucks). Most likely whoever finds it would be in Rogers territory anyway.

Thanks all for the suggestions.