spc
uniqs

PaulHikeS2
join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA

PaulHikeS2 to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer

Re: Simple way to avoid copyright issues

I compared you actually manufacturing the Ferrari in your garage to "manufacturing" music meaning actually performing and recording the music. It would be almost the same, but not identical, just like your Ferrari example. A more accurate analogy, but altogether different than a bit by bit idenical copy.

A bit by bit idenical copy in my opinion would fall under distribution which is copyright infringement.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

1 recommendation

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

said by PaulHikeS2:

I compared you actually manufacturing the Ferrari in your garage to "manufacturing" music meaning actually performing and recording the music. It would be almost the same, but not identical, just like your Ferrari example. A more accurate analogy, but altogether different than a bit by bit idenical copy.

Then you are breaking the analogy to better suit your argument since you know that's not what happens with copyright infringement. If you want a better analogy, you have to go past the physical limitation of not being able to 'create' a perfectly identical copy of something (which copying a file does).

To better the analogy, consider the Star Trek transporter. If you turn off the dematerialize feature and simply scan the physical object and create an identical copy using only pure energy then you will have a better mechanism for describing copyright infringement.

So now the questions become: If I scan my friend's Ferrari and 'create' another one, have I stolen anything? What if I create 20 Ferraris and give them to my friends? What if I run off a few dozen and open up a lot to sell them? If you want to insist that I am stealing something, please tell me exactly what it is I am stealing.

One has to delve deep into science fiction to come up with a scenario that properly compares copyright infringement to shoplifting... that's why the comparison is completely absurd. When you actually DO a proper comparison, almost no one would have a problem with making a copy of a friend's Ferrari for his/her personal use; there is NOTHING WRONG with it. If/when such a Santa Clause machine is invented and everyone has one, what should we do... tightly regulate its use to make sure business doesn't change? Or would it be time to rethink the way products are created & distributed.

You seem to keep going back to a legal definition of Copyright Infringement; I don't know if you read the whole thread or not but it was about comparing copyright infringement to shoplifting.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

said by CXM_Splicer:

So now the questions become: If I scan my friend's Ferrari and 'create' another one, have I stolen anything? What if I create 20 Ferraris and give them to my friends? What if I run off a few dozen and open up a lot to sell them? If you want to insist that I am stealing something, please tell me exactly what it is I am stealing.

Technically you would be devalueing Ferraris in general based on the principals of supply and demand.

This episode of the Duck Tales cartoon actually does a good job explaining this:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· a_player
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

1 recommendation

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

quote:
Technically you would be devalueing Ferraris in general based on the principals of supply and demand.

Yes, definitely. And I am sure Ferrari would be pissed about it and stamp their feet and shout 'You STOLE that Ferrari!!' But people would laugh at such a ridiculous accusation.

That was a great video, I loved the part with George thinking of the turkey! I think it is 100% true but we should take it a little deeper... Mr. McDuck correctly states that duplicating the money will ruin the economy. The thing is, if they really had a Multiphonic Duplicator, it wouldn't ruin the economy... it would render it OBSOLETE. People would have no need to duplicate money... they would simply duplicate the commodity. The economy would simply disappear as people duplicated all the food, clothes, houses, cars, computers, whatever they needed. The people who provided those commodities in the past for a profit might resent their loss of power & position and demand legislation to limit the duplication of commodities. So we would have corporations trying to force us to keep using the old, obsolete model because they found it more profitable.