Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Old space game

Hope someone can help me out.
there's an old space game where you're a pilot, the universe is open, the idea is to start trade routes with ships you buy, and have to purchase equipment for so that they trade automatically.
There are free ships (3 or 4) throughout the universe, the universe is huge.
First person perspective, when you encounter a trading station you can land manually or automatically.
Name?
It's not Freelancer..

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Sounds similar to Escape Velocity and EV: NOVA, good old Ambrosia Software shareware (but insanely good) game.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Hmm, the screenshots do not look familiar to me at all.
It may be x3, but I don't recall having missions. I do recall the name toucan however...
Argh, I'm gonna have to take the old hard drives out, and start searching through them.
thanks.
*Edit* It is X3, you can claim ships by ejecting into space, and going aboard.
Carrot
join:2012-10-17

Carrot to EUS

to EUS
Elite

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

1 recommendation

Koil to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
That game came out in 2005! I've got underwear older than that...I thought you were talking OLD OLD!

NOW GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Funny, old man.
I remember now why I stopped playing it, the crosshairs were leaving a burned in image on my monitor!

Marduk
join:2004-09-05
West Chester, PA

Marduk to EUS

to EUS
I loved Freelancer. We seriously need an update for a game just like that!

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Carrot

Premium Member

to Carrot
said by Carrot:

Elite

lol Elite was the first game that popped into my head too. Or Frontier : Elite II...
urbanriot

urbanriot to Marduk

Premium Member

to Marduk
said by Marduk:

I loved Freelancer. We seriously need an update for a game just like that!

Relevant link for myself, Marduk and Carrot - »www.kickstarter.com/proj ··· angerous

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to EUS

to EUS
Privateer (Wing Commander)

It's on GOG.com

Edit: X3 isn't old... lol

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Not old?
2005 is at least a century in computer game terms.
Which would make me Methuselah, I suppose.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

Old is like Privateer or StarLancer or Freespace 2. Games and hardware age differently

X3 has had AP and TC in the last three years and now X:Rebirth in the next few months.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by TigerLord:

Old is like Privateer or StarLancer or Freespace 2. Games and hardware age differently

lol that doesn't seem old to me...

Typing up the game Starfighter for my Atari 800XL from a summer issue of Compute Magazine in the early 80's and storing it on tape, that's old. Elite referenced above, also old. Wing Commander 1 on 5.25 discs (high density!), that was fairly old. Privateeer, Starlencer, etc., not that old... or maybe I'm old

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
You just described Elite, which is an old C64 game. Horribly unforgiving with no story line at all, just trading and trying to dock manually while outrunning (or outgunning) pirates. There were some hidden events in the universe if you happened to stumble onto them (like tribbles invading your ship and cluttering up your screen) but it was mostly flying from one system to another loading up on goods and selling them at the next stop.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Hey, in 1984 that was a big deal!
JBear
join:2005-02-24
canada

JBear to EUS

to EUS
Star Control 2?

»www.star-control.com/sc2/

A truly great game from what I remember
praetoralpha
join:2005-08-06
Pittsburgh, PA

praetoralpha to EUS

to EUS
Ah Freelancer. Great game that.

It seems that after more than a decade, space sims (and mech games) are coming out of hibernation. Glad I supported Star Citizen.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

said by praetoralpha:

Ah Freelancer. Great game that.

It seems that after more than a decade, space sims (and mech games) are coming out of hibernation. Glad I supported Star Citizen.

I pledged Rear Admiral because I'm excited. Time will tell if it was a good idea.
thefett
join:2001-02-05
Auburn, NY

thefett to EUS

to EUS
how about Darkstar One?
that wasnt bad.. still have it installed in fact

Deo85
join:2012-10-19

Deo85 to EUS

to EUS
wait how does one classify a "old game" when a gamer can have been playing video games as early as in the 80's some of us were born then others of us were old enough to game then... hell some of us on here can be in there 50's + and gamed back then...

I guess you could even go father then that when was "pong" released? 1972 according to wikipedia do we got any old time avid pong gamers in here? Now that is a old gamer...

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Pong was a terrible fad. I hadn't seen it until the late 70's and it was 20 minutes of fun and then... let's go play cards.

footballdude
Premium Member
Imperial, MO

footballdude to Deo85

Premium Member

to Deo85
said by Deo85:

hell some of us on here can be in there 50's + and gamed back then...

I remember playing text based Star Trek over a phone line in 1978 with a teletype machine that reprinted the entire map every time you put in your one letter command. And it was awesome.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS to Deo85

Premium Member

to Deo85
Yes, I remember when hi-tech gaming meant pumping quarters into pinball machines.
Or taping a quarter to a string, and getting many games off 1 quarter.

Deo85

Deo85 to EUS

to EUS
Damn we got some old gamers on these forums I completely spaced the revolution of the "pin ball" machine. So you guys that have been around sense the text game's and pinball machine fads started. What do you think about the industry and were it came from and were it seems to be going?

When was/is the golden age of gaming?

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

I don't think it's really hit it yet...I don't think there has been a decline enough to look back and say that the games that are out now are worse than before...as technology has progressed, so has the industry.

I mean, I had amazing times playing my Atari 2600, NES, SNES, then onto my PC with Zork (et al), BBS Door games, Bards Tale, Kings Quest (or anything by Sierra), Single player adventure / RPG's of all kinds, and then into MMO's, etc...and that is just one niche.

Not even mentioning logic, puzzle, war, racing, turn based strat, and on and on...there is just so much that has come to be and is continuing to evolve that I don't know if we'll see a down turn in gaming any time soon, imo....is some of it crap, sure, but that is true back then, too.

It's those amazing titles that take whatever genre they're in to the next level that really keeps it going and keeps players involved.

Not to use an obvious choice, but look at Skyrim...I mean, that game just set the bar ahead for almost everything out there, and it will take some time before the 'standard' games even begin to compare at that level (if they ever do).

I think with tech, innovation and geeky gamers who become programmers, we should see the industry continue to thrive for quite some time. (I hope!)

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord to EUS

to EUS
said by EUS:

Or taping a quarter to a string, and getting many games off 1 quarter.

I always laugh when people say pirating is a modern problem to gaming. Piracy was just as popular back in the old days!
TigerLord

TigerLord to thefett

to thefett
said by thefett:

how about Darkstar One?
that wasnt bad.. still have it installed in fact

Certainly wasn't bad. I enjoyed it.

It stops there

Deo85

Deo85 to EUS

to EUS
what about the geeky artist and sound guys :P or the designers for that matter it takes a team to make a products after all the programmers seem to always be in the for front of most peoples minds on who makes a video game.

I don't know about you but seeing code wiz on by on a screen does not sound like a vary interesting game to me... Must be what "playing" the matrix would be like.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord to Deo85

to Deo85
said by Deo85:

wait how does one classify a "old game" when a gamer can have been playing video games as early as in the 80's some of us were born then others of us were old enough to game then... hell some of us on here can be in there 50's + and gamed back then...

I suppose if you speak of PC gaming specifically and use the birth of the 386 and 486 processors to set a beginning timeline, then you could start with DOS games as being the oldest?

I was a child when I got my first PC but Windows 3.1 wasn't out yet and I could only play games in DOS. I did have a 5.25 floppy on my first PC.

First CD Drive was such an awesome moment too.

In any case, X3 is a very modern and still new franchise since expansions are coming out every 2 years or so at the most. And now, X Rebirth is a total game redesign, and is set to go out this year.

Anyone remember playing Wing Commander III and IV? Luke Skywalker was in those games!

footballdude
Premium Member
Imperial, MO

footballdude to Deo85

Premium Member

to Deo85
said by Deo85:

When was/is the golden age of gaming?

The early 80s. Gaming was new and exciting. Every mall had an arcade and every time you went in, there was something new to play. Home gaming machines were in their infancy but those that had an atari or intellivision had a constant stream of friends coming over to play. Every little tech innovation made people marvel.

Games are certainly better now, with huge development budgets and much better tech, but there is a lot of retread material out there. The feeling of seeing something you haven't seen before is really difficult to come by these days.