urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Deo85

Premium Member

to Deo85

Re: Old space game

Pong was a terrible fad. I hadn't seen it until the late 70's and it was 20 minutes of fun and then... let's go play cards.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to Deo85

Premium Member

to Deo85
said by Deo85:

hell some of us on here can be in there 50's + and gamed back then...

I remember playing text based Star Trek over a phone line in 1978 with a teletype machine that reprinted the entire map every time you put in your one letter command. And it was awesome.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to Deo85

Premium Member

to Deo85
Yes, I remember when hi-tech gaming meant pumping quarters into pinball machines.
Or taping a quarter to a string, and getting many games off 1 quarter.

Deo85
join:2012-10-19

Deo85 to EUS

to EUS
Damn we got some old gamers on these forums I completely spaced the revolution of the "pin ball" machine. So you guys that have been around sense the text game's and pinball machine fads started. What do you think about the industry and were it came from and were it seems to be going?

When was/is the golden age of gaming?

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

I don't think it's really hit it yet...I don't think there has been a decline enough to look back and say that the games that are out now are worse than before...as technology has progressed, so has the industry.

I mean, I had amazing times playing my Atari 2600, NES, SNES, then onto my PC with Zork (et al), BBS Door games, Bards Tale, Kings Quest (or anything by Sierra), Single player adventure / RPG's of all kinds, and then into MMO's, etc...and that is just one niche.

Not even mentioning logic, puzzle, war, racing, turn based strat, and on and on...there is just so much that has come to be and is continuing to evolve that I don't know if we'll see a down turn in gaming any time soon, imo....is some of it crap, sure, but that is true back then, too.

It's those amazing titles that take whatever genre they're in to the next level that really keeps it going and keeps players involved.

Not to use an obvious choice, but look at Skyrim...I mean, that game just set the bar ahead for almost everything out there, and it will take some time before the 'standard' games even begin to compare at that level (if they ever do).

I think with tech, innovation and geeky gamers who become programmers, we should see the industry continue to thrive for quite some time. (I hope!)

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to EUS

to EUS
said by EUS:

Or taping a quarter to a string, and getting many games off 1 quarter.

I always laugh when people say pirating is a modern problem to gaming. Piracy was just as popular back in the old days!
TigerLord

TigerLord to thefett

to thefett
said by thefett:

how about Darkstar One?
that wasnt bad.. still have it installed in fact

Certainly wasn't bad. I enjoyed it.

It stops there

Deo85

Deo85 to EUS

to EUS
what about the geeky artist and sound guys :P or the designers for that matter it takes a team to make a products after all the programmers seem to always be in the for front of most peoples minds on who makes a video game.

I don't know about you but seeing code wiz on by on a screen does not sound like a vary interesting game to me... Must be what "playing" the matrix would be like.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord to Deo85

to Deo85
said by Deo85:

wait how does one classify a "old game" when a gamer can have been playing video games as early as in the 80's some of us were born then others of us were old enough to game then... hell some of us on here can be in there 50's + and gamed back then...

I suppose if you speak of PC gaming specifically and use the birth of the 386 and 486 processors to set a beginning timeline, then you could start with DOS games as being the oldest?

I was a child when I got my first PC but Windows 3.1 wasn't out yet and I could only play games in DOS. I did have a 5.25 floppy on my first PC.

First CD Drive was such an awesome moment too.

In any case, X3 is a very modern and still new franchise since expansions are coming out every 2 years or so at the most. And now, X Rebirth is a total game redesign, and is set to go out this year.

Anyone remember playing Wing Commander III and IV? Luke Skywalker was in those games!

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to Deo85

Premium Member

to Deo85
said by Deo85:

The early 80s. Gaming was new and exciting. Every mall had an arcade and every time you went in, there was something new to play. Home gaming machines were in their infancy but those that had an atari or intellivision had a constant stream of friends coming over to play. Every little tech innovation made people marvel.

Games are certainly better now, with huge development budgets and much better tech, but there is a lot of retread material out there. The feeling of seeing something you haven't seen before is really difficult to come by these days.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
I'll admit using old as an adjective is too qualitative, that being said, to me, X3 from '05 is an old game.
So to clarify, my own opinion is that any game that came out when 4:3 monitors were the standard, and win'98/2000 were used is an old game.
I'm glad there are patches/expansions etc to bring X into the present, with all the bells and whistles that are now available, and am looking forward to the new standalone rebirth.
I wish they would do that with the original Homeworld, still the best (IMHO) rts space game ever made. Best use of the z-axis I have ever seen.

Deo85

Deo85

what about sins of the solar empire? that was so fare the best rts for space games to me so fare.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

I love sins, but it is no Homeworld.
There is no z-axis in sins.
Nor is there any way for me to hide salvage corvettes far above (or below) a baited dreadnaught, then use them to steal it away (while it was busy battling the destroyers I set on it).
At one point my whole fleet was made up of stolen carriers, destroyers, dreadnaughts, crazy ion-shooting white ships.....
Good times, good times.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord to EUS

to EUS
Homeworld is a gem of a game, Cataclysm and Homeworld 2 even more so.

Homeworld 3 is apparently in development.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

I'm shocked to see that you enjoyed Cataclysm & HW2 better!
I couldn't finish, couldn't even go 5 chapters with HW2, it was such a disappointing departure from HW.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord to EUS

to EUS
Why? It was very similar, except resources were auto harvested at end of game.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Gameplay was way different. Since my favorite play was to steal ships, I feel salvage corvettes getting the bum's rush was a mistake.
The auto load out of the next chapter's enemy's fleet auto-scaling to what the player ended up with was a turn off as well.
Sometimes I actually enjoyed taking a break between scenes and letting the collectors harvest at their own speed... if memory serves, there was a button to auto harvest in HW1 if you so wished?

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

said by EUS:

if memory serves, there was a button to auto harvest in HW1 if you so wished?

\

It was added in Cataclysm only, and could only speed up time, not auto collect what was left.

Yeah, salvaging was cool... I hope HW3 restores that.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Deo85

Premium Member

to Deo85
said by Deo85:

I really feel it was the late 70's to mid 80's, when society was discovering gaming for the first time in arcades, then having them in their homes in the form of Atari 2600's, home computers and NES's.

I sit down and say 'wow' at the lush graphics I see in some of these games today, but I don't get the same high I had the first time I saw Pac Man on my home TV seemingly perfect on my Atari 800XL or the movie-like experience of Karateka or exploring Ultima 1 in '82... then a few years later Super Mario Brothers, Bionic Commando, Excite Bike, wow...

Since then we've had some serious technological changes that brought us from a couple pixelated lines representing a horizon to lush, realistic graphics; but that excitement isn't as continual now as it once was. I walk into an arcade in Japan and marvel at the crazy stuff I see around me, but I don't feel that high that I felt concerning the need to play everything I see.
royhandy
join:2012-11-05
USA

royhandy to Carrot

to Carrot
I used to play Elite on an Apple IIc. That game was a friggin' blast!

RavonTUS
join:2003-10-15
Lafayette, IN

1 recommendation

RavonTUS to EUS

to EUS
Greetings,

What about Tradewars 2002? That was online gaming at it's best. I'd get home from school and hook up my 300 baud modem and auto-dial my favorite BBS. The ANSI graphics were so modern. After playing my 25 turns or so, trading, travelling port to port, battling ships and buying upgrades, I'd strategize tomorrow's turn and hope for the best.

Agh, I am old!

-Ravon

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

said by RavonTUS:

Greetings,

What about Tradewars 2002? That was online gaming at it's best. I'd get home from school and hook up my 300 baud modem and auto-dial my favorite BBS. The ANSI graphics were so modern. After playing my 25 turns or so, trading, travelling port to port, battling ships and buying upgrades, I'd strategize tomorrow's turn and hope for the best.

Agh, I am old!

-Ravon

Played the hell out of it...I played it at least on 4-5 boards, since you were usually limited to x amount of turns a day.
tonydenton88
join:2012-11-29

tonydenton88 to EUS

to EUS
I think it's elite... amazing game

Masque
join:2001-12-04
Auburn, MI

Masque to EUS

to EUS
Okay....circa 1983....did anybody here (my age) play Universe? A very extensive game. Played the hell out of it due to the fact that a friend of mine was one of the beta testers for it.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

Is this it?

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Un ··· eo_game)

From the wiki:

Details
The game comes on 4 disks and included in the US$89.95 cost was two free hours a month on the Universe BBS. Upon mailing in the included warranty card, users were also mailed subsequent versions of the game on replacement disks, based on suggestions from the BBS. A review in Computer Gaming World praised this dedication to customer service.

Holy crap...That shit better have made me breakfast. I'm surprised that they were able to pull that kinda price tag.

Masque
join:2001-12-04
Auburn, MI

Masque

That's it.
Expand your moderator at work