spc
uniqs

Grothendieck
Premium Member
join:2002-07-28
Miami, FL

Grothendieck

Premium Member

Re: Tips on how to visit NYC for vacation on December?

Thanks for the advise everyone.

Yesterday I was looking at flights and found a roundtrip MIA JFK for $190 which I thought was stupendous and so I booked it. Its for 6 days which I think will be more than enough to see the city (also more days means more hotel costs). I suppose it gets a lot more expensive as it gets nearer to December? So I guess I did good to reserve it already.

However now im looking for a hotel and they are expensive. Manhattan is ultra expensive, like $400 a night, way out of budget for us. We are going to buy the 7-day metrocard and move around NYC in the subway (we did this when I was 14 years old and my father took me to NYC in the Summer, I loved the mobility of the subway, I remember we went to a lot of places exclusively by subway and it was very cheap, like $24 for the whole week).

I been looking at hotels and first of all, the vast majority of hotels that show up are in NJ...I dont know how much of an inconvenience that would be...I really couldnt find a budget hotel in NY. I found some "motels" in Expedia I think in the Bronx or Brooklyn which were $120 a night and then another $20 per day in some weird taxes Expedia tacks on making it $140 a night, however when I read the reviews I got scared. People mentioning scary neighborhoods, gunshots in the nights etc. By no means we are picky travelers, we literally want a place to ONLY sleep as we are planning to spend every day in the city and just go to the hotel late at night to sleep. But, I do not want to get mugged in a bad neighborhood or something. I understand probably some locals that read this are going to say this is an exaggeration or something but I dont really know what is true and what is an exaggeration from the reviews.

At least I got the flight taken care of, now just need to find a hotel...

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy

Premium Member

Try »www.airbnb.com/

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium Member
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX

alg to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
If you are truly, honestly only looking for a bed then look at The Jane: »www.thejanenyc.com/ I've stayed there a few times and I'm pretty happy with it when I'm in the city by myself and only need a room to sleep in.

Be forewarned though: while it's a good, clean hotel in a good area the rooms are TINY and basic and restrooms are shared. I'm being completely serious when I say that if you lay a roller bag flat on the floor you will take up about 1/3 to half of your available floor space that isn't your bed.
quote:
JFK is a better choice, and if the OP is interested in going outside NYC to stay, they could take the Airtrain to Long Island too..
Or they can take the Airtrain from JFK to Jamaica and either take the LIRR to Penn Station, or the subway into Manhattan, Queens or Brooklyn.
Airtrain Newark to Newark airport station then NJ Transit rail into Penn Station really isn't any different.