Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to rcdailey

Premium Member

to rcdailey

Re: Oracle Java SE 7u9 and 6u37 released

Yup that is one way..but what I had them do is this

COPY C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javacpl.cpl to C:\WINDOWS\system32\javacpl.cpl

which it failed to do..and that was easier for them..there is a javacpl.cpl in the bin..and it is easy to copy and paste it in the system32 folder. All three then found they had access again to the Java(TM) control panel but as we suspected it was set again by default to do that auto update crap..even though in 7u7 it was set to never do that.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Name Game:

...but as we suspected it was set again by default to do that auto update crap..even though in 7u7 it was set to never do that.

That is par for the course these days. Just about everyone (Adobe, Apple, Oracle, etc) ignore previous preferences and sometimes even the ones you select at install time and enable/re-enable auto updating.

I actually have a mental checklist to go disable/uninstall auto-updating. I also check to see if any services were added and remove them if they were.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Same here..but in that case of XP..one could not even access that panel GUI for Java..I also have them go into the advanced tab and change a few things in there iif they really need java installed. Screenshot above is default settings in the advanced before changes made there.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

I usually run javacpl.exe manually, and as an Administrator, since some time ago Sun/Oracle decided to make many settings only available to Administrators and I'm usually logged into a non-Admin account.

FYI if you have the 64-bit version of Java installed along with the 32-bit they share the same settings. I use the 32-bit javacpl.exe.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
Is there a guide or a list of settings that should be changed from the stock defaults?