byron
Premium
join:2004-06-16
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

[Northeast] NYC MDU Installation delays

I've been working with Verizon for over a year now to bring FIOS into our building in Brooklyn. They've completed the riser installation in the stairwell and the conduit for the point of entry/exit. Now they they're waiting on the city to approve their request to install a pedestal on the corner of our block that will provide service to our block. I've been getting this same response for about a month now.

Is anyone familiar with this procedure? How long should we expect to wait on a pedestal approval? Any way to track the status online or by phone (I'm aware of the street construction permit site, but nothing is showing yet)?

Is the decision at the discretion of the city or does the property owner have to give their approval (pedestal site is planned to be in front of an adjacent residential building)?
--

I hide all anonymous posts, so if you want me to see your post(s)... get an account.

fibercrew1

@verizon.net
its possible some or all the buildings on your block will get wired internally WAAAY before fiber is pulled into the block. this has to do with backlog of construction as well as city permits for cutting open streets which is needed for sidewalk ped box. aerial (pole) construction is much easier.

byron
Premium
join:2004-06-16
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
I know at least one of the buildings on our block already has it (and has had it for at least a couple years). The network engineer on our project says that a pole isn't feasible for us so they're at the mercy of the city to grant approval for a pedestal. We granted Verizon access to exit our building so that they can provide service to other residences behind our building so in order for them to get wired, they def have to wire us first.

From what I've been told as soon as the city grants the pedestal request they said they'll schedule resources to start the fiber installation.

Any idea how long the city typically takes to approve pedestal installations?
--

I hide all anonymous posts, so if you want me to see your post(s)... get an account.

fibercrew1

@verizon.net
dont know how long it takes for city approval but im sure it varies depending on what else is going on (other utilities, more pressing issues). it will come eventually but dont expect to be able to track the progress online anywhere and expect anyone from verizon to give you a firm date.
Expand your moderator at work