FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Nike drops Armstrong

»www.nytimes.com/2012/10/18/sport···tml?_r=0

The fallout from the antidoping agency’s report also prompted Nike, the company that stood by Armstrong through more than a decade’s worth of doping allegations, to terminate his contract on Wednesday.

In a statement on Wednesday morning, Nike said the evidence that Armstrong had doped was so overwhelming that it could no longer partner with him. In the past, the company stood by athletes like Kobe Bryant, who was accused of sexual assault but never convicted; Michael Vick, who was convicted and served time in a federal prison for his role in a dogfighting ring; and Tiger Woods, who gained international notoriety for his extramarital affairs.

“Due to the seemingly insurmountable evidence that Lance Armstrong participated in doping and misled Nike for more than a decade, it is with great sadness that we have terminated our contract with him,” the statement said. “Nike does not condone the use of illegal performance enhancing drugs in any manner. Nike plans to continue support of the Livestrong initiatives created to unite, inspire and empower people affected by cancer.”

There goes a huge chunk of his regular income.
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
Anheuser-Busch, Trek bicycles, Radio Shack, Giro (helmet manufacturers) and Honey Stinger also dropped him. He resigned from the FRS Co board.

I don't think Nike ever dropped Tiger Woods, did they? They dropped Vick but re-signed him when he got out of prison and had shaped up. And they removed Paterno's name from their child care center.
--
my pants are parched and thirsty

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by fatness:

Anheuser-Busch, Trek bicycles, Radio Shack, Giro (helmet manufacturers) and Honey Stinger also dropped him. He resigned from the FRS Co board.

I don't think Nike ever dropped Tiger Woods, did they? They dropped Vick but re-signed him when he got out of prison and had shaped up. And they removed Paterno's name from their child care center.

I think the later ones were just getting on the bandwagon so to speak, by dropping him...
--
Politics is a disease, we need a cure!
In constant search for intelligent life on Earth!

Blogger

@mpionbroadband.com
reply to fatness
said by fatness:

It's strictly business, nothing else. Armstrong has been retired for over five years. He will now no longer compete in even triathletes as before. So he is done as competitor and as a dominant active athletic name. Now that isn't competing all and out of the sport for such a time all that is in the news is the doping. Nothing else. In only makes sense to drop him by most sponsors.

I also wouldn't compare him or Woods for that matter to Michael Vick convicted violent felon.

Vick certainly didn't shape up IMO. He simply served his time in the joint. He shaped up only in the most irrelevant sense in that he stopped running a dog fighting ring and stopped violently and brutally personally killing the dogs that lost their vicious fights he ran. Shaped up is not a term I personally would choose.

But...Vick can still compete at the most difficult team sport position in the world so that's the whole story. As soon as he goes into the dumpster and leaves the NFL so to will his sponsors leave him. Faster than Armstrong.