K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to SueS

Re: [Help] White balance issue

said by SueS:

I took a photo of my granddaughter last night. She was wearing a blue green top (more green than blue) and sitting in the grass with fallen leaves around her. The light just so so, so it is a snapshot.

The problem, when I corrected white balance for her skin tone her top then looks more blue. What would you do in this situation?

Does the color exact hue of the clothing REALLY matter that much (as long as not psychedelic) if you got the skin tones right???
--

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO
kudos:2
What would you do?

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 recommendation

reply to SueS
You've had better answers than I could have given, so........ I got a recommendation some time ago from someone well respected from here, »www.mediachance.com/digicam/clea ··· skin.htm I don't know if it would be of any value to you, but you could see for yourself.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to SueS
I hope that you're shooting raw with your 7d. It makes these types of corrections so much easier to do.

Anyway, here's what I was able to do with Lightroom. I used her eye to get a white balance.

Canon EOS 7D
85mm 1/160th F3.5 ISO1600

SueS
Premium
Macon, MO
I do have the raw files for these, and I discovered yesterday that I could have two files opened together to match skin tones. These are only snapshots, I usually only shoot raw when I think they are important.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to SueS
said by SueS:

What would you do?

If JPG pretty much all you can do is adjust for skin tone and lets the other colors fall where they may.

However as others have posted, if you have raw files a lot more specific adjustments can be made.
--

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

said by Hayward:

said by SueS:

What would you do?

If JPG pretty much all you can do is adjust for skin tone and lets the other colors fall where they may.

However as others have posted, if you have raw files a lot more specific adjustments can be made.

Actually, that's totally false. Camera Raw will handle jpg as well as raw files.
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

EGeezer
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to SueS
It looks like it supports several cameras -

»ufraw.sourceforge.net/Cameras.ht ··· ras.html

As for saving EXIF data,

said by »ufraw.sourceforge.net/ :

Embed EXIF data - UFRaw can save the EXIF data to JPEG output for a few supported formats. These formats include Canon (CRW, CR2), Nikon (NEF), Pentax (PEF), Samsung (PEF), Sony (SR2, ARW), Fuji (RAF) and Adobe's DNG. For information on how to save EXIF data for other formats you should use ExifTool by Phil Harvey

I've used it on my Pentax PEF files but prefer Raw Therapee for its functionality.

greyblue

@tmodns.net
reply to SueS
another option not yet mentioned - after u get the skin tones the way u want (the original looks like overcast bluish skylight) you can just select the blouse alone and adjust its color separately.

having a white or and grey card in at least one of the images will let you correct afterwards even if u dont white balance to it while shoting, assuming the light stays the same while shooting.

SueS
Premium
Macon, MO
Thanks

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to tmpchaos
said by tmpchaos:

said by Hayward:

said by SueS:

What would you do?

Actually, that's totally false. Camera Raw will handle jpg as well as raw files.

And I said otherwise WHERE?????

I said if only source is JPG you can adjust for skin tone and you have to live where other things fall.
And some (one, CR) raw processors may be able to do better with JPG than most processors still no where near what can be done with actual RAW.

So at best partially false.
--