uniqs
share rss forum feed

pshifrin

join:2000-08-11
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

MDU VDSL Question

Our condo has recently gotten the MDU with VDSL install. If we have two tivos and are not planning on getting set top boxes, does the VDSL modem need to be connected to coax for any reason? I am asking because right now there are no phone jacks near any of the TVs.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

The VDSL modem needs a phone line for the data portion - it doesn't get connected to coax. The BHR is needed for FiOS data, and you would need to connect the TiVo to the BHR for guide updates.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to pshifrin

If you have VDSL-1, you will get a Zyzel VDSL modem which has no coax connection. The coax connection on the Actiontec router behind the Zyzel does not need to be connected if you only have Tivos.

If you have VDSL-2, you will get a Westell 9100VM combination VDSL modem and router. Again the coax connection on the Westell does not need to be connected if you only have Tivos.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

pshifrin

White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Ok so we had Fios installed. They gave me a D-LINK 6300v DSL modem which is connected to the actiontec router. I want to use my own router (Apple Airport Extreme) but when I connect the Airport it simply refuses to pickup a public IP off the D-LINK (even with rebooting all equipment). What is so special about the actiontec? Coax isn't connected to it as I only have Tivos.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

Release the IP lease in the Actiontec before disconnecting.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease

Or wait long enough for it to drop out of cache to renew.

pshifrin

White Plains, NY

Wow that was simple and worked perfectly, thanks! Adios Actiontec!