Premium
join:2002-06-22
kudos:2

Do Not Call and Recruiters

So, the US DnC list has a few exceptions:

* Political Stuff and non profits
* Surveys
* Businesses that you have a prior relationship with

My wife is in the healthcare profession and has some recruiters calling her quite frequently. We are on the DnC, and we have an AT&T wireless home phone (i.e. AT&T GSM). My wife has never engaged these folks before, we have no relationship with them, and none of the above exemptions apply.

From past experience talking to legal folks, this company definitely is violating the DnC. I've even told them that when contacted, but they claim they are exempt because they are "employers". To me, they are trying to provide a service (i.e. a job), and they are soliciting for it. So, they should be under the DnC.

Thoughts?

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Recruiters are required to comply with the DNC.

However...

If your wife submitted her resume to any online job board (such as Monster or CareerBuilder) then there is an obnoxious loophole that lets them get away with calling. Placing the number where members can acquire it technically constitutes a "business relationship" even though she may not have ever directly contacted any of them.

My advice:

1) Get a Hotmail or Gmail account that is *SOLELY* for job hunting and only give out that address for job boards, recruiters, and on resumes.

2) Get a Google Voice number. Give that out for job hunting or any other situation so you can selectively handle or block calls and not have them annoying you on your cell or landline.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

madylarian
The curmudgeonly
Premium
join:2002-01-03
Parkville, MD
reply to acadiel
Even if you have some sort of "prior relationship", be it business, non-profit, politician or whatever, they are required by the DNC list to stop calling you and take you off their list if you tell them to do so. Go here and page down to item 28 and beyond.

mady
--
Honi soit qui mal y pense

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
join:2002-06-22
Nope, no prior relationship. No job boards, no anything related to them, looking for a job, etc. on the part of my wife.

They pull up names from the Illinois healthcare license registry (I guess they buy it), but phone numbers don't come with it. They then match with directories, etc, the phone numbers to the person and then call them.

The business relationship, if any, is my wife and the state with her license. It didn't give the headhunters permission to call her.

What's bad is the guy said in email that "employers calling prospective employees" are automatically exempt from DnC. I spit back an email to him with the exact verbiage and told him he might want to tell his employer that they're not filtering against DnC. Haven't heard back from him yet.

Whip

join:2009-01-23
Califon, NJ
reply to acadiel
Scammers don't follow the DNC. They use it for a pre-harvested contact list.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to acadiel
said by acadiel:

Nope, no prior relationship. No job boards, no anything related to them, looking for a job, etc. on the part of my wife.

In that case she should do what I have done with abusing recruiters in the past: First, file a violation report with the FTC. If Illinois has a registry of their own, file a complaint with them as well. Then, print up an invoice for something like $1K and mail it to them. Put "Settlement for violation of Federal Do Not Call list - date and time -." Add a line that failure to remit in full within 30 days will result in their account being referred for collection and possible legal action. Then, if they don't pay up, send them to a collection agency. I've done that and gotten a few to pay...the rest wound up being ruined by the debt collector. (It really didn't matter to me if I ever saw a penny, just the principle of making them suffer from incessant calls form debt collectors.) I rarely get bothered by those jackwagons any more because word does get around.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
How do you find out their mailing address and "official" legal name?

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
Google the phone number. That can bring up the actual business, or somewhere like 800notes.com that others have figured out who the caller is. Another tactic is to play the social engineering game and talk them into forking over at least the company name and where it's located. You can fill in the blanks from there.
--