how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@rr.com

iOS 6: It's Tracking You Everywhere

A lesser-known new feature in iOS 6: It's tracking you everywhere:

Apple has enabled user tracking of its customers once again, with the recently released iOS 6 enabling advertisers to see which apps users have run, and which adverts they've seen – all for the benefit of the users, of course.

The IFA, or Identification For Advertisers, is a random number generated once by the iOS device which is used to uniquely identify that device between applications. The number is available to apps which can send it to their advertising service of choice to pull down new adverts, perhaps based on previous usage of viewing, without sharing the identity of the user or their equipment.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

Thanks.

To repeat a key piece of info from the article: you can disable this under Settings/General/About/Advertising.

Not that Apple is tracking me everywhere: my phone has spent the last week on a bedside table. I carry it when I think I might need it.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4

1 recommendation

said by dave:

Not that Apple is tracking me everywhere: my phone has spent the last week on a bedside table. I carry it when I think I might need it.

Thank you for the info. Your file has been updated accordingly.

MIXZ1

join:2001-01-02
Mexico
reply to FF4m3
Brand new 4S, disabled by default. Anyone else?

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
4S, was running iOS 5, upgraded to iOS 6.

When you say 'disabled', what do you mean?

On my phone, the setting is called 'limit ad tracking' and was 'off' by default -- i.e., 'on' is what I want.

So, does your 'disabled' equate to 'off' or 'on'?

---
Sticking this under 'about' seems a little deceptive, no?

MIXZ1

join:2001-01-02
Mexico
It was set to "off" by default, so tracking was enabled. I set it to "on" which in the convoluted semantics I take to mean the feature is not enabled. BTW, IOS 6 upgraded immediately after purchase.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to FF4m3

I dont know why anyone has this spying garbage!!

GET RID OF IT.... TAKE YOUR LIVES BACK..... MAKE IT AS HARD AS YOU CAN FOR THE ELITE,DONT WILLINGLY LET THEM INVADE YOUR LIVES!!!

COME ON PPL,WAKE UP!!!

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
reply to FF4m3

Re: iOS 6: It's Tracking You Everywhere

My SGS3 with JB 4.1.1 doesn't track me

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Re:  

It's a tracking id, don't get over-excited about it.

"Take your lives back" is a little hyperbolic, don't you think?

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
Annie's Pub
said by dave:
It's a tracking id, don't get over-excited about it.

Of course I replied with a smile, to feed the Apple lovers, fwiw caps-lock and exclamation mark fanatics are never able to smile.

Note: Android (tracking) id's can (automatically) be changed every boot, I don't know such will also be possible with iOS. With an Android factory reset the id will also be changed.
--
»bit.ly/gUqYaH - C. Brian Smith: Think of the exclamation point as a car horn: a little goes a long way. Lay on it too hard and everyone’s going to think you’re a moron.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3

How To Stop Apple And Advertisers From Tracking You

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
Annie's Pub

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3

Re: iOS 6: It's Tracking You Everywhere

Txs for the links ant

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3
How To Get Advertisers To Stop Tracking Your iPhone

• »www.businessinsider.com/stop-tra···-2012-10

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 recommendation

reply to dave
said by dave:

Thanks.

To repeat a key piece of info from the article: you can disable this under Settings/General/About/Advertising.

The pity of it is that anyone has to think of these things in the first place. I am not down on technology in the least, but this kind of tracking is tantamount to what was raged about, and still is, about having to opt out rather than having an opt in a standard.
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

1 recommendation

You sound like someone who doesn't really appreciate the kindness of advertisers who only want to enhance your online experience!