how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

brn2rn

join:2008-05-19
Scarsdale, NY

DVR vs. TIVO

We have 3 Tivo boxes, running Series 2. I don't want to do cable cards and have been thinking about Opt. DVRs to get HD. Does anyone have a sight that may show the pros/cons of the 2.

Thanks

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Why don't you want to do CableCARDs? The process is incredibly simple these days.

I'd go some TiVo HDs or a single TiVo Premier XL4 + the TiVo IP-STB when it is released later this year or early next year.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to brn2rn

I had a series 3 HD with IO and it worked flawlessly. I like the fact that the TiVo has more tuners
--
Romney - Ryan 2012

root

join:2002-12-11
reply to brn2rn

said by brn2rn:

We have 3 Tivo boxes, running Series 2. I don't want to do cable cards and have been thinking about Opt. DVRs to get HD. Does anyone have a sight that may show the pros/cons of the 2.

Thanks

Keep in mind Cablevision is doing remote DVR (called DVR+) now. The cablecard method as thinkdiff mentioned is really easy and personally I'd much rather have a physical DVR that you can rewind live TV on compared to DVR+

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

You will also be able to get more storage with a physical DVR
--
Romney - Ryan 2012

Cobras33
Premium
join:2003-02-05
NJ
reply to brn2rn

After having the Tivo interface, you may not like going back to CV's DVR. Personally, I like the ability to upgrade the hard drive on Tivo's DVR. All my Series 2's were upgraded and the first thing I did when I got the Premiere unit was to take out the 320GB HD and put in a 2TB one.

Also there's the CV monthly cost. For having CV's DVR you have to pay for the tuner(cable box), the DVR and remote costs, vs. just $2 for the cable card. When I got my Premiere, I think the break even point was 26-28 months. It may be less now as the low end Premiere units are cheaper then when I bought mine

The only thing I've been annoyed with are the problems with the tuning adapter you'll need if you get certain premium channels. I have 3 Premieres in the house and all 3 tuners have been swapped out at least once. I don't know why CV has problems with them.

If you really enjoyed the Tivo interface I would suggest staying with it, but I don't know all the factors in your decision.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

What's the monthly charge for Tivo's guide? Is that factored into your break even analysis, or is the TiVo guide free?

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

said by limegrass69:

What's the monthly charge for Tivo's guide?

»www.tivo.com/buytivo/popups/popu···ans.html

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

Right. So what's the talk about a break even? When you factor in the monthly TiVo guide cost, plus the CableCard, plus the up front hardware investment, how do you end up ahead financially???

You might get a bit more function or a slicker interface for the same money, but I am not sure I see a break even...

And, if your TiVo needs to be replaced, it looks like you could end up worse off, financially speaking.

Am I missing something?

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

1 edit

Not to jinx myself, but I've had my HD TiVo (Series 3) for six years now with the lifetime service and it is still going strong. I get a decent interface (definitely much better than the current one on the Samsung boxes), Pandora, YouTube, video podcasts, Netflix, Amazon, Live 365 and a whole other bunch of apps. I can also put videos onto my TiVo from other sources, stream from DLNA NASes and I can pull videos I recorded off of my TiVo that do not have the copyright flag (which most channels still do not have) for later viewing. I see way more advantages with a TiVo over a cable TV based DVR hands down.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to brn2rn

Ive kinda said not to get a Tivo if your plan is to pay less than you would with CV's DVR.. You do, however, get more bang for your buck.

I have two Tivo Premiers on my account:

Tivo 1: Paid $0 up-front in 2010, but paid $19.99 for monthly service over 2 years, then dropping to $14.99 in December with another one year commit
Tivo 2: Paid $99 up-front.. With multi-service discount, I opted for $12.99 per month for that unit and 1-year commit.

You do get a lot more capability with a Tivo than you do with a CV DVR... You can stream from your home PC, you can transfer recordings TO your PC.. You have Netflix built-in, you have Amazon VOD.. Pandora... Hulu Plus.. It just does a lot more than the CV DVR. And you have a UI that is still better than the new CV UI.

Its a matter of personal preference.. I'm all digital in my area and don't need a tuning adapter, so I just have the CableCards at $2 each.

Rick

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to limegrass69

You're missing that TiVo is much, much better than the cable company DVRs. Nice things cost more.

I think the break even point referred to is when buying the TiVo with a lifetime subscription.. That's the best deal.

I've had TiVos since 2001 - 8 of them. All of them work still perfectly. Risk of irreparable hardware failure is very low.
--

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
reply to brn2rn

Tivo is much better than Cablevisions DVR. You also get a lot of extra functionality that we wont see on Cablevision supplied hardware ever.

mab631
Premium
join:2003-08-22
Mastic Beach, NY
reply to brn2rn

I think if Tivo didn't charge 15/month for its service (a guide) more people would have it. I mean i could see like 4.99/month but 14.99 really?

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by mab631:

I think if Tivo didn't charge 15/month for its service (a guide) more people would have it. I mean i could see like 4.99/month but 14.99 really?

If you think Tivo service is just a guide, you may as well save your money and just use »www.zap2it.com

By the same token, Cablevision is charging 9.95 a month for its DVR service (a guide?)

Cobras33
Premium
NJ
reply to limegrass69

If you go to this Tivo site (»www3.tivo.com/store/upgrade.do) you can get a discount on the lifetime service when you upgrade to Premiere. I did this with my 2 Series2 Tivos and got $100 off on each the lifetime subscription.

mab631
Premium
join:2003-08-22
Mastic Beach, NY
reply to RickNY

I just ment it that I get why Cablevision is charging me the 9.95/month no hardware to buy. I don't see how Tivo is charging 14.99/month plus making me buy hardware.

Cobras33
Premium
NJ

I don't think it's $9.95 a month. You have pay for both the unit and the DVR service. When you take both, plus the wonderful 25 cent rental for the remote, it's about $17 a month.

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY
reply to mab631

Even if it was - there is a question of truly comparable functionality (disclaimer: I have been a day 1 Tivo Customer - and never regretted it)
--
I am addicted to speed --- Boost + speed that is ---

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

I had a regular CV DVR (8300HD) and soon switched over to a Series 3 HD with lifetime service and I instantly liked the Tivo better because of the added features
--
Romney - Ryan 2012

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
reply to mab631

If you look for sales you can get them for $100 direct through Tivo. I know at one point you could get a refurb for $69 directly from them too.. just keep an eye out for the sales. Because they have been pretty good lately. Nothing on sale right now but with holidays coming up you are certain to see them come down in price at least for a little while.

brn2rn

join:2008-05-19
Scarsdale, NY
reply to brn2rn

Thanks for all the input. My "concern" over the cards is that we sometimes use on demand in the rooms. So, it would seem that I would need a cablecard and box in same room to get all of that? Am I right? Then paying for 2 items.

Thanks

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

True, TiVo does not currently offer on-demand through cablevision, but they do for Comcast. Maybe one day they'll start adding other providers. If, for some reason, on demand is a necessity for you, then TiVo is out of the question for the time being.

That being said, I don't miss on demand one bit with my TiVos.. I just record as much stuff as possible and I always have something to watch.
--

gimmedvr

@vnsny.org
reply to brn2rn

When this bad boy comes out in a week i am going with it instead of cable dvr or tivo. Looks like unlimited DVR storage.

»broadcastengineering.com/infrast···-storage

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

Wonder how they're getting away with "uploading" your recordings to the cloud at a recommended minimum of 1Mbps upload speed. My guess would be that they're not actually uploading anything - they're recording the content on their own server and you "recording" the show gives you access to that recording on their server. If this is the case, expect it to be challenged in court.

Plus, only locals? No thanks.
--

TVisitor

join:2000-10-07
Dumont, NJ
reply to brn2rn

I used to have ReplayTV's and loved them, but since they went out of business, I needed to look for an HD solution. I went with the Optimum box, which was the SA 8300HD. I had no end of problems with it. The thing got SO hot, it fried itself. I had it in an AV cabinet under my TV that is pretty well ventilated (none of the other equipment had issues). Got another one, set it up on a end-table next to my TV. All was good, still was very warm. That one died in a few weeks. Lather, rinse, repeat one more time. Cablevision told me that if this happened once more, they'd have to send someone out to my house to check it to see why the DVR's were dying. I finally got fed up and replaced it with a Tivo HD and a dual stream cable card. Things have been wonderful ever since. My setup is pretty well engineered and installed, and I've never experienced any issues that would kill a box. I realize my experience may be atypical, but I know others complained about heat on theirs too. Not to mention it was *so* slow on the menus, etc. The thing I love about Tivo is the season pass. I don't even give my shows a second thought, they just start to record when new seasons come on. [About the only thing I dislike is the need to have the SDV box to go with the Tivo since Cable does SDV. Most people tend to agree those boxes suck, but thankfully I don't really use most of the auxiliary HBO channels.]