Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
reply to mab631

Re: DVR vs. TIVO

If you look for sales you can get them for $100 direct through Tivo. I know at one point you could get a refurb for $69 directly from them too.. just keep an eye out for the sales. Because they have been pretty good lately. Nothing on sale right now but with holidays coming up you are certain to see them come down in price at least for a little while.

brn2rn

join:2008-05-19
Scarsdale, NY
reply to brn2rn

Thanks for all the input. My "concern" over the cards is that we sometimes use on demand in the rooms. So, it would seem that I would need a cablecard and box in same room to get all of that? Am I right? Then paying for 2 items.

Thanks

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

True, TiVo does not currently offer on-demand through cablevision, but they do for Comcast. Maybe one day they'll start adding other providers. If, for some reason, on demand is a necessity for you, then TiVo is out of the question for the time being.

That being said, I don't miss on demand one bit with my TiVos.. I just record as much stuff as possible and I always have something to watch.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

gimmedvr

@vnsny.org
reply to brn2rn

When this bad boy comes out in a week i am going with it instead of cable dvr or tivo. Looks like unlimited DVR storage.

»broadcastengineering.com/infrast···-storage

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Wonder how they're getting away with "uploading" your recordings to the cloud at a recommended minimum of 1Mbps upload speed. My guess would be that they're not actually uploading anything - they're recording the content on their own server and you "recording" the show gives you access to that recording on their server. If this is the case, expect it to be challenged in court.

Plus, only locals? No thanks.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

TVisitor

join:2000-10-07
Dumont, NJ
reply to brn2rn

I used to have ReplayTV's and loved them, but since they went out of business, I needed to look for an HD solution. I went with the Optimum box, which was the SA 8300HD. I had no end of problems with it. The thing got SO hot, it fried itself. I had it in an AV cabinet under my TV that is pretty well ventilated (none of the other equipment had issues). Got another one, set it up on a end-table next to my TV. All was good, still was very warm. That one died in a few weeks. Lather, rinse, repeat one more time. Cablevision told me that if this happened once more, they'd have to send someone out to my house to check it to see why the DVR's were dying. I finally got fed up and replaced it with a Tivo HD and a dual stream cable card. Things have been wonderful ever since. My setup is pretty well engineered and installed, and I've never experienced any issues that would kill a box. I realize my experience may be atypical, but I know others complained about heat on theirs too. Not to mention it was *so* slow on the menus, etc. The thing I love about Tivo is the season pass. I don't even give my shows a second thought, they just start to record when new seasons come on. [About the only thing I dislike is the need to have the SDV box to go with the Tivo since Cable does SDV. Most people tend to agree those boxes suck, but thankfully I don't really use most of the auxiliary HBO channels.]