stormbow
Freedom isn't FREE
Premium Member
join:2002-07-31
Simi Valley, CA

stormbow

Premium Member

Card Access Systems

Anyone have recommendations for a card access system? It has been ages since I have had to deal with a secure area and I do not know what is good these days. We want to be able to tie multiple sites together (NYC and Simi Valley, CA)
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

Based on the limited amount of details you provided I'll just throw out this company name; Protection One.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to stormbow

Premium Member

to stormbow
I use an S2 Netbox system in a few buildings connected remotely. Suits our needs and works pretty well.

Weasel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

Weasel to stormbow

Premium Member

to stormbow
We also use S2, works well for us.

weeksben1
Premium Member
join:2004-02-26
Clarkston, MI

weeksben1 to stormbow

Premium Member

to stormbow
My previous employer had a System Galaxy (came with the building) system. Another department used Opto22 and HID prox readers.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

1 edit

drew to stormbow

Premium Member

to stormbow

PToN
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

PToN to stormbow

Premium Member

to stormbow
I just finished the process of replacing our access control system. I can tell you 1 thing, do not go with Protection 1 for access control. The system is horrible.

We opted to go with Genetec ( »www.genetec.com/Pages/de ··· -en.aspx ) to replace the mess ADT left us with and we couldnt be happier..!!

It is a complete solution for access control and surveillance. Of course, you can just pick and choose whatever area you wanna implement. This system is all IP based so if you have multiple sites, you can just use your VPN to control doors and access. All the access information is stored in the controllers so if you lose your VPN, the doors can still operate with the latest data that was synced.

We only have 1 site, but looking at the software, there was ways to partition the system so that it logically separates X amount of locations.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. I know how much of a pain is to research these systems.

Thanks.

stormbow
Freedom isn't FREE
Premium Member
join:2002-07-31
Simi Valley, CA

stormbow

Premium Member

Thank you all for the recommendations. They have been passed up the line for review.

jay608
Going Nucking Futs
join:2007-01-22
Homewood, IL

jay608 to stormbow

to stormbow
The one I have dealt with in the past is Kerri Doors

»www.kerisys.com/pages/pr ··· c/doors/

eclypse
@millerind.com

eclypse to stormbow

Anon

to stormbow
We're using a system based off of the S2 Netbox (Emerge from Linear/IEI). The feature set is great. It has some really great stuff. However, because it's OEM and not supported directly from S2, there are never any updates (Linear never fixes any security issues) and the support is horrible. Their software is a poor adaptation of the S2 software. Not even sure why they are still in business or still using this platform if they can't even patch it or fix simple things.

We have recently talked directly with S2 and it looks like they are going to work with us through our current vendor and get this fixed up. They say that the majority of our existing investment will be safe and we only have to swap out the controller and node cards and not the whole thing.

I really like the system because it is Linux-based (so no extra Windows and SQL Server or Oracle licenses), has a web interface, is standards-based, so it works with just about anything, and allows us to do so much more than what our previous system would do (Sonitrol). Plus, we can manage it ourselves, so that is a huge plus. It's not terribly expensive, and it is very modular. It seems to have a lot of features that are only found in much more expensive systems. When it works, it works REALLY well, so based on what I've been reading from people who use the actual S2 hardware, they don't have our problems. So if using S2 hardware directly is as good as they say it is, then it should really be a good system.

One other recommendation we had was Lenel. They are supposed to be the "tippy top of the A-list." The techs that I know that have used their stuff all say it is the best and trouble-free. I think it's also significantly more expensive, but sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

Anyhow, this is my $0.02. Hope it helps! =)

acehyde
Tired.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-14

acehyde to jay608

Premium Member

to jay608
said by jay608:

The one I have dealt with in the past is Kerri Doors

»www.kerisys.com/pages/pr ··· c/doors/

Here is another vote for Kerri - we have multiple sites that are accessible via card keys we manage via ethernet.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm to stormbow

Premium Member

to stormbow
We use HID readers and cards for government customers for general access to our site: »www.hidglobal.com/main/g ··· lutions/

We are about to add another layer of security and use a different vender/proximity card for physical access to our office within the building, physical access to our racks, and access to our workstations.
Not sure the brand or company, RFP has been sent out.