uniqs

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

SueS

Premium Member

Re: [Help] White balance issue

My granddaughter does not like to have her photo taken. She tries too hard to pose and you know how that goes. Anyway we were out in the yard last night, and I was trying to get her to relax. I want to do a real shoot in a few days. I can use a grey card and set the white balance, but that does not fix the photos I shot last night. I have two different white balances, (camera was set on auto white balance) and I would like photo 1 to match photo 2 skin tones without making her top blue or some other weird color. I have the raw files, but I am not going to post them.
29886823 (banned)
join:2005-03-29

2 recommendations

29886823 (banned)

Canon EOS 7D
85mm 1/160th +0.3ev F3.5 ISO1600

1st image corrected
SueS,
I ran your first image through a piece of software that tries to make sure that the skin tone is 'acceptable' by looking for the closest match from a database of tones, and making corrections. After that, I ran the image through a 'warming filter' and the result is posted here.

bfreas
Premium Member
join:2001-06-16
Franklin, KY

bfreas to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS
Are you using Gimp?

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos to SueS

Numquam oblitus

to SueS
I just went +18 on temperature in camera raw to get this:

Canon EOS 7D
85mm 1/160th F3.5 ISO1600

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

1 edit

SueS to bfreas

Premium Member

to bfreas
Yes I use GIMP and I haven't found a good way to use it for white balance.

I just discovered a while ago that I could pull up both raw files to compare in DPP, and I was able to get very close.

Sometimes I just shoot jpeg snapshots (because I don't want to work all the files) and skin tones can be a problem. Most of the time outside they are ok. Once the sun gets quite low my camera tends to shoot more blue.
SueS

SueS to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
That is pretty good.

Tell me more about camera raw. Is it something like lightroom?

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

1 recommendation

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

It's just the raw file handling plugin/interface from Adobe. It does allow you to do quite a bit, though. Pretty sure Lightroom has it.