LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

[Equipment] Curious about Clear

I'm seriously considering Clear as a backup / supplemental connection.
I was looking at their available equipment, and all seems to be big on wi-fi. I'm not particularly interested in wi-fi. I already have a wi-fi network. I really just want an ethernet connection to a dual wan router.

Can I turn off wi-fi on the Clear equipment? I can't find much documentation online.

Second, I notice people posting fairly decent speed results in this forum. If I pick the lower package, can I expect my speeds to be capped at the lowest rate? I am in a 4G area and have unobstructed LOS to the Clear tower.

xrayman
join:2008-12-09
Kansas City

xrayman

If you don't like what Clear has to offer in the way of home modems I would look for used or refurbished units on ebay. Before you buy an used unit make sure the MAC Address on the device will validate on the Clear byod page.
The Motorola WiMAX Clear Modem - Series M CPEi 725 / CPEi 25725 is an older unit, it could be what you are looking for. I see refurbished units going for $18 with $5 shipping.
Here is a link to a how-to on setting up the modem with a router: »austexvoip.com/clear-wim ··· ge-setup

Just remember your download speeds could be low at times, it all depends on tower loading in your area.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

+1 on the model M. Not only can you run it as a router or bridge, on the logic board are two ports you can use for an external antenna (with the correct dongles...see my Clear review for the part numbers I used for my antenna setup). With 2 external antennas I get a very very reliable 12+Mb and pull down close to 200GB a month at my office.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

Am I correct that with the current Clear equipment they are attempting to keep customers from putting their own router behind the Clear modem?

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26

Premium Member

said by nunya:

Am I correct that with the current Clear equipment they are attempting to keep customers from putting their own router behind the Clear modem?

No they have bridge mode (at least both the hub express and white modem with wifi hub do). Also the WIFI can be turned off on both of these. If you need more then one ethernet port the hub express has two of them onboard. It also has an external antenna port if you need an external antenna.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

I'm seriously considering Clear as a backup / supplemental connection.
I was looking at their available equipment, and all seems to be big on wi-fi. I'm not particularly interested in wi-fi. I already have a wi-fi network. I really just want an ethernet connection to a dual wan router.

Can I turn off wi-fi on the Clear equipment? I can't find much documentation online.

Second, I notice people posting fairly decent speed results in this forum. If I pick the lower package, can I expect my speeds to be capped at the lowest rate? I am in a 4G area and have unobstructed LOS to the Clear tower.

If you have any other choice for ISP RUN AWAY FROM CLEAR, don't walk RUN as fast as you can.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I disagree, Clear works PERFECTLY for me. If you can run an external antenna and you are relatively close to a Clear tower, there should be no problem with service.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy to nunya

MVM

to nunya
If I pick the lower package, can I expect my speeds to be capped at the lowest rate?
Yes.
I have the lower rate package and have a good signal and get 1.5/0.5Mbs consistently.
If I run Speed Test on my iPhone or iPad is see the download speed start at 2.5 3.0 Mbs for a few seconds but then it quickly scales down to the published 1.5Mbs. It's almost like "Speedboost" on Comcast but at much slower speeds obviously.
All in all I am happy, it serves the purpose for which I intended.
I also installed a second modem at my mom's home. It has a somewhat lower signal but it's speed and reliability are similar.
I'm located in a near north Chicago suburb as is my mom.
J
Expand your moderator at work

ninoriff
join:2011-10-14
Batavia, IL

ninoriff to JimThePCGuy

to JimThePCGuy

Re: [Equipment] Curious about Clear

Hello from wimaxspot360.com,

CLEAR is a great choice if you have good signal! Ideal signal should be as follows:

RSSI (signal indicator) Below -63
CINR (Chettah Score) Above 18

This should always keep you in the above average QAM (wimax modulation) package delivered to your modem. QAM 1/2

Remember that if you want to push your modem and possibly see increased speeds then you need to be on the next QAM which is 3/4 or even 5/6 and that is achieved when you scores are:

RSSI (signal indicator) Below -50
CINR (Chettah Score) Above 24

Remember to place your modem in the best line of sight possible as WiMax is dependent on LOS no matter how much CLEAR denies it.

Again CLEAR is an outstanding choice for the moderate user that is looking for general use and great for the advanced user that is willing to invest in improving their signal.

Nino Riff
wimaxspot360.com