share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to Juggernaut

Re: Overfilled the oil and some dripped

I'll check again tomorrow when it's lighter out so I can see what I'm doing. It looked past maximum when I pulled it out.

Is what I circled the engine? Is the oil drop on it ok?

I don't know how to drain the oil out. Can I buy something that looks like an eye dropper and suck some out of where I put it in? I'll drive my other car to go buy one, if needed.

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1

1 edit

said by fartness:

I'll check again tomorrow when it's lighter out so I can see what I'm doing. It looked past maximum when I pulled it out.

Is what I circled the engine? Is the oil drop on it ok?

Drop spilled shouldn't hurt anything, if you think you might have spilled more than that it might be a good idea to clean it with carb cleaner (with a cold engine), then let it warm up with the hood open to make sure nothing is burning.

said by fartness:

I don't know how to drain the oil out. Can I buy something that looks like an eye dropper and suck some out of where I put it in? I'll drive my other car to go buy one, if needed.

No because the oil sits deep into the oil pan, the only way to "suck out" would be with a long hose down the dip stick tube. Better off loosening the drain bolt, but only if significantly over filled, a little over the hatch should be OK.
--
75/35 FIOS || MSN Msgr: scott001^gmail_com

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to fartness

What you circled looks to be the intake manifold. You're ok, just wipe it off.

I would suggest taking it to an oil change place to drain any excessive oil. An eye dropper won't do as the oil is at the bottom of the engine in the oil pan.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

I can see it where I poured it in though. Or will it make its way down so I can't see it?

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

Did you pour it in the engine, or the thin little tube at the back of the engine?

If it's the thin tube, that's the transmission fill tube. Do not drive it! Tow it to a shop, and explain what you did.
--

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

No way, I poured it where it says "Engine Oil 5w30" or something to that effect.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

OK, check it in the morning on LEVEL ground, and see what the dipstick reads.
--