Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

Could someone help me understand SG200, SG300 and SG500

Could someone help me understand the marketing concept, and purposes of the various Cisco SG200, SG300 and SG500 switches?

I was looking for a 48 port PoE HP Procurve, but many of the Cisco SG PoE units seem less expensive.

I'm a bit concerned that Cisco has a reputation for being expensive after purchase.

Is anyone familiar with these Cisco switches and their basic distinctions?

Thanks for any help.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1

they look pretty cool... obviously not IOS based Switches but they should be as reliable as any out there... I'd recommend a used IOS based but they all provide Power and Switching...

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to pandora

200-series switch Datasheet

300-series switch Datasheet

500-series switch Datasheet

Like Da Geek Kid said, not IOS-based, and Cisco classes them as "SMB" type.

I haven't had a chance to work with them either, but these days the underlying hardware
to build a 24+ 10/100/1000 device isn't rocket science to begin with. It just comes
down to the features / functionality you want, which taking a look at the datasheets
is pretty vanilla standard.

Warranty-wise, Cisco does the "Limited Lifetime," again I cannot comment as I've never
dealt with these devices before.

Regards

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

Thanks for the links, not certain what Cisco "SMB" classification means. The pdf datasheets are printing. I hope there is no ongoing charge for software or that support calls don't require an expensive subscription or expensive per call charge.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to pandora

Call and ask before you put money down is always a good policy.

Again, never having dealt with Cisco SMB gear, I really can't comment. I'm more familiar with their enterprise offerings.

Regards