spc
Search similar:

uniqs
lambition
join:2004-08-26
Oakton, VA

lambition

[VA] DOCSIS 3.0 Modem for Preffered?

I am using proffered internet connection with old DOCSIS 2.0 Modem (Scientific Atlanta DPC2100).

My modem was loosing connection time to time and recovers after resetting modem. So, I thought may be it is time to switch modem.
Looked up compatible modem list and I found COX is now saying "These devices provide the highest possible speeds, and are required for Preferred, Premier, Premier Plus (where available), and Ultimate packages of Cox High Speed Internet service." under DOCSIS 3.0 devices.
And under DOCSIS 2.0, "These modems can be used for Starter and Essential packages of Cox High Speed Internet Service only."

Will I have any benefit from switching to DOCSIS 3.0 modem?
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix

with d3 modems you are more likely to get the speeds you are paying for do to channel bonding and also should have more consistent experience
lambition
Oakton, VA

lambition

I forgot to mention speed I'm getting.
I get about 20 Mbps/3.5Mbps.

But not consistent. I assume DOCSIS 3.0 will give me more consistent result?
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix

yes, imagine you internet is currently using a 1 lane highway with your neighbor and you get that rush hour effect during peak hours, with a d3 modem you would now be on a 4 or 8 lane at the same time to help maintain speed.
lambition
Oakton, VA

lambition

Just swapped my modem to DOCSIS 3.0. (Cisco DPC3010).

As I read on other people's post, Downstream is now strictly limited to 20Mbps. But, upstream got much faster.

I had a little trouble registering new modem. After registering/provisioning new modem with service rep, I plugged new modem, but it was not connecting and DS light was just blinking forever. I tried power cycling it several times and rep and I gave up and decided modem is defect.
Connected my old modem back, but wanted to try new modem again.

DS light was blinking for long time then, it moved onto US light and it was blinking for long time.

Checked modem status at 192.168.100.1 and learned firmware has been changed to COX firmware.
So, it probably was downloading new firmware from COX when it was blinking DS.

Called back and registered, now everything is in good working order.

BEFORE

AFTER

lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Well speeds may not look much improved by speedtest results. But as others have said, cox has slowly started capping powerboost. Still your speeds will stay a lot more steady during peak usage hours when everyone is on the internet. Also you are now future proof with your modem for at least the next 3-5 years imo. Plus you will have the option to upgrade to faster speed tiers, in the future if you choose to. Oh one last thing, with D3 modem's they are slower at syncing up when first started up, or during a reset. As it seems D3 modems take longer to get correct channel info, and such from the CMTS when booting up.
lambition
Oakton, VA

lambition

I hope my upload speed stays that fast for long time.

After first trouble, modem is starting up and syncing as fast as my old DOCSIS 2.0 modem.
That is why I think it was upgrading firmware.

One thing I miss on this modem is there is no log page and nobody seems to know how to log-in to more advanced account to have access to it.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by lambition:

I hope my upload speed stays that fast for long time.

After first trouble, modem is starting up and syncing as fast as my old DOCSIS 2.0 modem.
That is why I think it was upgrading firmware.

One thing I miss on this modem is there is no log page and nobody seems to know how to log-in to more advanced account to have access to it.

The Cisco DPC3010 modem log is locked down by cox with its firmware. Its one of the biggest negatives of that modem, when the customer likes to be able to view log for troubleshooting. As for the upload speed on speedtest results, that's simply powerboost. Which cox will get around to capping powerboost on the upload side as well. You are currently still only getting the speed you pay for when doing any long downloads, or uploading a big file. Still you did the right thing with getting a D3 modem, as things will be better for you now, and into the future with a connection that is more steady.
lambition
Oakton, VA

lambition

said by lilstone87:

The Cisco DPC3010 modem log is locked down by cox with its firmware.

I don't understand reason behind this. What harm viewing log page possibly do?

They locked down Scientific Atlanta DPC2100's log page as well, but someone figured out log-in information to increase access level to view log page.

Hope this can be done with DPC3010 as well.

I was considering Motorola, but Cisco was cheaper to get.