All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DeltaDart1
join:2007-12-13
Cedar Rapids, IA

DeltaDart1

Analog & digital channels-I need some help here!!

I have Mediacom and no problem with that. I'm having trouble with the analog and digital channels on a 4 year old Sanyo LCD TV. When I do a reset it searches for analog and digital channels. Everything good so far.
Here is where I get very confused. On the remote I can't enter a channel like 53.9. I have to input 53 then search(53.1,53.2,etc.)to find the channel I want. But the big problem is when I input channel 2(local analog channel(KGAN)my TV will do nothing. It's the same with all the local channels which are all analog at this time.
I can't figure this out. I want all the channels but figuring out the remote for all these is quite the challenge. Is the 2009 model year Sanyo tuner obsolete already? Thanks,Many thanks for your help!!

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

Some older TVs have different modes where you have to switch between digital and analog modes. So the channel surfing is not so seamless. On your remote you should have a . (dot) or - (dash) key so you should be able to enter for example 53.9 and not go to 53 and hit channel up key.
DeltaDart1
Cedar Rapids, IA

DeltaDart1

I'm looking at the remote now and there isn't any dot or dash. It's a Sanyo remote GXBJ model. Now in my bedroom was have a 3 year old 32" Vizio and it does have the dot.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

Well in that case you may want to get a universal remote. BTW I had an old Sanyo TV and while it was digital ready it simply sucked. I would have to switch 'inputs' to go to digital channels and it was really slow.
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6 to DeltaDart1

to DeltaDart1
No channel is only analog now. You should find that there are digital equivalents to all the local channels. Cedar Rapids was in fact, I believe, the market area that Mediacom first made that switch over. KGAN, analog channel 2, is available as 16.1 and HD at 114.6, but you should already know this from the Vizio in your bedroom. So start with 16 and arrow up from there.

I would get frustrated real quick if your Sanyo is like Anonymous described, where you need to use a menu to switch between watching analog channels and digital channels. It might take some experimenting with a fairly fancy universal remote to find a way to switch back and forth more quickly, if it can even be done by one button. What model TV is it - maybe someone has already figured that out?

OldCableGuy
@planetcr.net

OldCableGuy

Anon

I have that same remote the . is entered by pressing the 1-- key. Very easy to use.
DeltaDart1
Cedar Rapids, IA

1 edit

DeltaDart1

It's the Sanyo model DP26648. The remote will simply not let me enter a digital channel that uses a dot like 54.2. When you enter the 54 the tv goes to 54 in a split second and won't allow you to enter the dot. Like I said the Vizio will let you do this with no problem.

Just a thought but when I reset the tv to search for channels can I have it search just for the digital channels and exclude the analog channels? Having analog and digital channels is where I think the confusion is. Still zero luck trying to input a .(dot)to input a digital channel. The remote will simply not do it.

OldCableGuy
@planetcr.net

OldCableGuy

Anon

I'll be you're right: »www.avsforum.com/t/10813 ··· -dp26648

Here's how you fix it, sell that TV on Craigslist and buy one that works properly.
DeltaDart1
Cedar Rapids, IA

DeltaDart1

This drove me nut's yesterday trying to figure it out. Why does stuff like this have to happen in the first place? I could understand if the tv was several years old but we bought it August 2008. The Vizio was bought in July 2009 and yet there is that much difference.

I might just use the Sanyo as my computer monitor and go buy a new 26" which I ASSUME will have the better tuner. Could I use a cable box to make it work right? Would it have to be from Mediacom? We have 1 tv hooked up to a Mediacom box and I do like the features it has.

KA0OUV
Premium Member
join:2010-02-17
Jefferson City, MO

KA0OUV to DeltaDart1

Premium Member

to DeltaDart1
I think the bottom of Pg. 12 in the manual covers what you are describing:

»us.sanyo.com/dynamic/pro ··· 1233.pdf

"IMPORTANT FACT: This HDTV maintains only one database
of digital channels. Therefore, when you search for
cable channels, the database of antenna digital channels
will be deleted. You will only be able to receive those
ClearQAM channels your cable company provides."

So you either have a cable TV or an off-air TV from a channel database perspective.

OldCableGuy
@planetcr.net

OldCableGuy to DeltaDart1

Anon

to DeltaDart1
Yes a digital box would fix the issue. Cheaper yet, a DTA would also fix the issue.
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6 to DeltaDart1

to DeltaDart1
Yes, a Mediacom box would help. Although depending on which box you get, it might be cheaper to just replace the TV. The DTA option that OldCableGuy mentions is certainly the cheapest solution, and uses the least electricity, but will only give you SD 4:3 resolution channels, negating the fact this is an HD-capable TV. Renting an actual HD DCT quickly adds up in cost. How much do you really use this TV and change channels? If not much, then you could probably live with the channel changing limitations. But if a lot, then maybe it is worth the money to replace the TV or rent the HD DCT.
DeltaDart1
Cedar Rapids, IA

DeltaDart1

Best solution I think is for me just to replace the tv. I hooked up the Sanyo to my computer and it makes for a great monitor. Also tv prices as we all know just get dropping in price. Thanks for all the help. At least i'm not crazy. Bottom line is the tuner on the Sanyo is a little weird.