join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone

Re: [Serious] Border agent shot; shooter kills self

said by Gone:

said by PX Eliezer704:

This story says the officer was not armed because she was a very new employee and had not yet completed the firearm training.

That is completely untrue. By the time a new recruit has gone through "boot camp" at Rigaud they would already be trained and certified to use a firearm.

Obviously I believe you, you would know because of your wife.

But this is what I read, perhaps it is an example of some big miscommunication.

Roslyn MacVicar, the boarder agency’s regional director for the Pacific region, said Bowcock completed her training with the agency in July and was deployed to the region. She hadn’t yet completed the training that would allow her to carry a firearm.

“I know everyone within our organization is thinking about Lori and wishing her well,” MacVicar said in the statement.

»news.nationalpost.com/20 ··· -motive/

--------------------------

I know that Canadians spell things differently but I was surprised to see the National Post say:

boarder agency

Or are they just idiots at the National Post?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

That doesn't make sense. I know people who've been kicked out of Rigaud because they couldn't pass their firearms and use of force certification which is a prerequisite before they officially become an "FB" as they're called and posted on the border.

There has to be more to the story. Even when I read this to my wife she immediately started shaking her head before I had finished the sentence.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Here's more on the shooter.
»bigstory.ap.org/article/ ··· today-34
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

I know that Canadians spell things differently but I was surprised to see the National Post say:

boarder agency

Mostly.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

Could be, the NP has a cash flow problem (it is not a new one, they haven't made a dime since they launched). As such they have been cutting staff and screwing around with their layout in order to cut costs, and increase sales. This week they will merge several sections together for tomorrows edition. They also killed the Monday edition over the summer the past few years to cut expenses. The FP is reducing the scope of their stock index.

Lately the paper has gotten less intelligent, more hardnosed, negative and preachy. I though they had been moving towards a paywall for web but not sure how they will pull that one off without completely tanking ad revenue.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
Found out some more info. She wasn't armed. Reason being that even though she completed training there weren't enough spots to undergo firearm certification, but they needed officers at the post so they put her there anyway with the intention that she become certified once a spot opened. Or at least, that's the general jist of it.

In other words - a clusterfuck. Not that it would have made any difference, but there's going to be a lot of questions asked over this whole situation beyond a crazy man with a gun from Washington.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap

said by Gone:

In other words - a clusterfuck. Not that it would have made any difference, but there's going to be a lot of questions asked over this whole situation beyond a crazy man with a gun from Washington.

Why would there be questions asked? She could have been carrying
an AK-47 with grenades hanging from her belt and still got shot by this idiot???

FaxCap

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by FaxCap:

Why would there be questions asked?

The bigger question is why someone would be posted to primary inspection without having completed firearms and deadly force certification despite that now being a requirement of the job. The fact that she still would have gotten shot if armed is irrelevant, though based on what I've heard she may have had a chance to shoot back.

It's not something any of you will care or know about about, but it will be a shitstorm between the CBSA and PSAC. Mark my words.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by FaxCap:

Why would there be questions asked?

The bigger question is why someone would be posted to primary inspection without having completed firearms and deadly force certification despite that now being a requirement of the job.

Short answer: budget cuts by The Hxxxxxr Government**

**where any spending cut is a good spending cutTM

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by MaynardKrebs:

Bzzt wrong. Nothing was "cut" - it was just poor planning from the start.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by MaynardKrebs:

Bzzt wrong. Nothing was "cut" - it was just poor planning from the start.

shhh...don't ruin his fantasy land.
Expand your moderator at work

bluebaron2
Stuff Happens
Mod
join:2001-02-01
North of 44

bluebaron2 to Anon

Mod

to Anon

(topic move) [Serious] Border agent shot; shooter kills self

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 8 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[Serious] Border agent shot; shooter kills self

This is not another gun control thread.