Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

2 edits

Steve

[General] Disconnected in error! Help!

Hello all,

Tonight just before 7PM my DSL went down and stayed down, and when I called 877-722-3755 they were closed, but the voicemail system told me that my disconnect order #v66281 from Sat Oct 13 was fulfilled, but I placed no such order.

My housemate, who has his own separate phone line (and in his own name and billed separately) replaced his DSL Extreme DSL with ATT U-Verse on that day, and I'm reasonably sure I got swept up as collateral damage. I should have been completely uninvolved in that transaction.

Being offline for a day or two is annoying enough, but if the static /28 allocated to me is lost it's going to be Really Bad News for me.

DSL number from bill (removed)
ATT HSI BUS ELITE-S

The landline still works fine.

I'll try calling them tomorrow but I'm terribly worried about losing my fixed IPs. Can anybody help me?

Edit - A visit to att.com suggests that my whole landline is being disconnected too. This is really bad.

Steve

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

First, this is not the AT&T Direct Forum, so it is not a good idea to post personal information. I have requested for a Mod to remove the posted info.

Second, apparently AT&T will not set up a U-verse account at an address with an existing DSL connection. So if there is one, they disconnect it before activating the U-verse account. Because you have the second line, it may be possible to order ADSL on the second line, assuming AT&T has an available port, and not decommissioned the ADSL hardware.

I'd recommend posting to the AT&T Direct Forum, and maybe one of the techs can pull DSL rabbit out of his hat.

Steve
I know your IP address

Tustin, CA

Steve

I know that this is not ATT direct, but I was hoping to flush out some information overnight. None of the above is information I care about.

U-Verse was activated on Saturday and is working now, so clearly there's no technical barrier to simultaneous DSL and U-Verse, and if there's a real rule there I don't see how they can disconnect my circuit without notification.

Ugh, this is going to suck.

Steve

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

I am sorry it isn't what you wanted to hear. And it is, in my opinion, a stupid policy. It is just AT&T being AT&T: "We don't care. We don't have to care. We're the Phone Company".

No, there is no technical barrier, just some stupid, mindless corporate policy. Since it affected your landline, I'd say a complaint to the CalPUC is in order, as well.

Nor is there anything anybody in this forum could have done for you overnight, other than explain why what happened did happen.

The more I hear about how AT&T works, the happier I am that I was able to dump them.

Steve
I know your IP address

Tustin, CA

Steve

Re: [General] Disconnected in error! Help

Ok, I'm screwed. Apparently U-Verse and DSL do not co-exist in the ATT universe, even though the cable bundle that goes to the pedestal outside my house carries my neighbor's DSL, and there are no options for me here. I'm ordering cable internet.

If their policy is their policy, the that's the way it goes, but disconnecting internet service without notice seems like an atrocious business practice.

Unfortunately, the California PUC doesn't deal with this kind of issue; the phone line yes, but cellular, long distance, and internet are apparently outside their scope. Ref: »www.cpuc.ca.gov/PUC/CEC/ ··· aint.htm

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Steve:

Unfortunately, the California PUC doesn't deal with this kind of issue; the phone line yes, but cellular, long distance, and internet are apparently outside their scope. Ref: »www.cpuc.ca.gov/PUC/CEC/ ··· aint.htm

Which is why:

• AT&T wants to shift from landline to cellular.
• Internet access should be listed as a Public Utility.
shaincruz
join:2012-10-10

shaincruz to Steve

to Steve

Re: [General] Disconnected in error! Help!

That this i know very well is not AT&T direct, but i am hoppes to having the pinkish flush of some infomation i care about it.
Expand your moderator at work