share rss forum feed

GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie

join:2010-06-28
Tallahassee, FL

Inkscape: Guide Limitation Work Around

According to the Inkscape's Wiki page, it states:

quote:
Guides cannot be locked, and guides are global to the layers instead of bound to individual layers as they are in Illustrator.
May I ask why guides cannot be locked? Are there any advantage to that over Adobe Illustrator? Why could it not be coded in Inkscape? Why could it not be coded so that the guides can be locked into a single layer instead of being global?

Note that I am using Kubuntu 12.04 Linux distribution, so paying $$$ for Adobe Illustrator just to get around Inkscape's limitation is not worth it for me.

The reason why I want to lock the guides is when it comes to sketching 2D character animation in front and side before I use it in Blender 3D as a background.

It's not my place to label Inkscape as half-baked (I mean, no offense to the open source purists -- well, I am an open source purist -- heh ) but when there are setbacks or limitations, I might look around the menus to see if there are any workarounds and use the Internet as a last resort.
--
Phone: Yealink SIP-T22P + CSipSimple in Optimus V
Phone System: Asterisk 10.1; Server: Debian Sid+Exp

I'm in heaven with VoIP except for 3G wireless.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
I know nothing about this program.. however this page says guides and be locked and unlocked *shrugs*

»wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php···rovement

GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie

Tallahassee, FL
Thanks for the link. I'll have to find a work around in the meantime.

GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie

Tallahassee, FL

1 recommendation

Click for full size
Turn on the grid and use the pen tool to draw a couple of lines to form multiple guides and lock the guide layer.
Hey guys, I got it.

Instead of using guides, with the layer named "Guides" and the grid turned on, just use a pen to draw a straight line to form a guide. Create a new layer, name something you want, and lock the "Guides" layer.

Here's an example for starters. I could mark my thread as "solved," bt for someone who came from using Illustrator (well, I don't have Adobe Illustrator, but I learned it from the graphics class back during late 2010) may find that they will have to return to Illustrator as in my opinion the users of Illustrator may find Inkscape "half-baked," but in the end, it depends in what features the Illustrator users may not care to use in Illustrator in which they'll do fine with Inkscape.
--
Phone: Yealink SIP-T22P + CSipSimple in Optimus V
Phone System: Asterisk 10.1; Server: Debian Sid+Exp

I'm in heaven with VoIP except for 3G wireless.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to GraysonPeddi
Thanks for letting any that use the same program know how to do this.

GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie

Tallahassee, FL
No problem. I really do think locking a guide is a very basic feature like in Adobe Illustrator, but oh well.