share rss forum feed

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to Arne Bolen

Re: DDoS Attacks, Is Any VoIPP Less Susceptable ?

Somebody posted a day or two ago - not sure exactly where, prob'ly in the omnibus CallCentric thread - that some or all OBI ATAs let you specify multiple SIP servers for each VoIP provider, and gave examples of how - apparently it's explained in the OBI user manuals.

It got me to thinking....

If every VoIP USER were to get an OBI ATA and use that feature rather than DNS SRV (where the DNS SERVER record automatically moves you to an alternate SIP server), would that make it more difficult for an attacker to overload a SIP server, since the specified server would then not necessarily be sending its excess load to the next server in the farm ?

It would seem to be an alternate and less vulnerable way to make a provider's multiple SIP servers failover to each other, but controlled by each legitimate USER's ATA, rather than by functionality which may (e.g. CallCentric, Anveo) or may not (e.g. VOIP.MS) be available at the provider's end of things.

Davesworld

join:2007-10-30
Everett, WA
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·Callcentric
Multiple servers set for a provider only work if the provider has different domained servers to enter into the blanks and each domain points to a different server (they don't have to). This is for failover. For example, voip.ms's seattle server goes down and my connection picks up the la server upon registration failure since I have it set to use la as the second choice. It also helps if your equipment has the homing feature where the first choice is homed back to when it is available again unless you don't care which is used.