uniqs
share rss forum feed

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3

Reverse cruise control

My friends Son asked him the other day "Dad, does cruise control work in reverse?"
First - it will be a few years before he even thinks of getting to drive But it is a interesting question. I would say it wouldn't
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

»www.chacha.com/question/does-cru···-reverse

In theory yes (if you reach the minimum engage speed and the system does not lock out in reverse)
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to PoloDude

said by PoloDude:

My friends Son asked him the other day "Dad, does cruise control work in reverse?"
First - it will be a few years before he even thinks of getting to drive But it is a interesting question. I would say it wouldn't

now you are making me regret not trying this when i junked my old car, it ran and i had it on stands for about a week i could have tested.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

2 recommendations

reply to PoloDude

Reminds me of one of my favorite movie stunts of all time. Burt Reynolds as Hooper:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDaPc0dPEdM

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
reply to PoloDude

my 98 lesabre it works in reverse above 20, I found this out the other day... scared teh crap out of me.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to PoloDude

I would have to try this but I am betting that for safety - it no longer works in reverse as I can't see why it would even have a practical use.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to PoloDude

every car i've driven in the last 8-10 years requires a minimum of 25-30 MPH before Cruise will engage. Do vehicles even go that fast in reverse? Crikey.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

I once saw a mercedes that had two reverse speeds for its automatic. No clue why anybody needs more than one reverse gear.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by Kearnstd:

I once saw a mercedes that had two reverse speeds for its automatic. No clue why anybody needs more than one reverse gear.

Snow and ice. Many automatics have the ability to start out in 2nd gear, instead of 1st. The reduced torque at the tires can help the vehicle get moving instead of just breaking traction. Being able to do the same in reverse could be quite useful if you're trying to back up a slight incline to get out of a parking spot.