spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

voxframe

join:2010-08-02

Digital Loggers PoE 24v/48v Power controller many failures

Is anyone else out here having problem after problem with these things????

Bought a batch of 12 or so a couple months back. So far this is what I'm getting.

-Random relays don't work. They report whatever I set them to, but they just don't actually DO anything. They either stay stuck on or off.
-FAN FAILURES! 8 Units so far all have the rear fan (The one on its own) stop, break bearings, or act up in some way. I think this is because it has no clearance between the fan itself and the casing, it actually rubs against it and I've had to loosen the screws and back it off from all the cases (The ones with the gold sticker on the centers don't even turn until you back them off, there is that much friction)
-Voltage output issues, I have one (24v)that constantly burns MT RB-250GS switches after a couple weeks. The rest power them just fine. (HUH!?)
-I have another that will SOMETIMES work, and when it's on batteries all of the relays will randomly shut off. It reports them as on though. Then the only way to bring them back is unhook the batteries, and 110v. Then restart it, and even then you'll hear the relay "bounce". It'll turn on, then instantly off. So you hear a double "cla-click", power was on for half a second, now it's off, and the relay reports active.

Not impressed with these things so far. They started out rock solid, but I'd say I've had to swap or jimmy-rig half of the ones we ordered since then.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
said by voxframe:

Is anyone else out here having problem after problem with these things????

Bought a batch of 12 or so a couple months back. So far this is what I'm getting.

-Random relays don't work. They report whatever I set them to, but they just don't actually DO anything. They either stay stuck on or off.
-FAN FAILURES! 8 Units so far all have the rear fan (The one on its own) stop, break bearings, or act up in some way. I think this is because it has no clearance between the fan itself and the casing, it actually rubs against it and I've had to loosen the screws and back it off from all the cases (The ones with the gold sticker on the centers don't even turn until you back them off, there is that much friction)
-Voltage output issues, I have one (24v)that constantly burns MT RB-250GS switches after a couple weeks. The rest power them just fine. (HUH!?)
-I have another that will SOMETIMES work, and when it's on batteries all of the relays will randomly shut off. It reports them as on though. Then the only way to bring them back is unhook the batteries, and 110v. Then restart it, and even then you'll hear the relay "bounce". It'll turn on, then instantly off. So you hear a double "cla-click", power was on for half a second, now it's off, and the relay reports active.

Not impressed with these things so far. They started out rock solid, but I'd say I've had to swap or jimmy-rig half of the ones we ordered since then.

I have a grand total of 1, and I just inspected it the other day, working perfectly, I havent even had to look at it since I put it in.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

poweruser1

@spectrumnet.us
Same problem, pulled them all

Chele

join:2003-07-23
kudos:1
reply to voxframe
We pulled the older versions, they kept going back to factory default--which means ALL outlets are turned off!

voxframe

reply to voxframe
OUCH! I haven't had that yet... But the second I do I'm going to pull them all and send them back to the company.

This is pure bullshit right now.
They handled like a dream for the beginning and now they are all having problems in some way.

Never never never again will I buy from them.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON
Have you contacted them about the issues? Maybe they can warranty yours and improve the product from customer feedback.
I dont really like hearing that they are a bad product especially when I have one at the heart of my livelihood!
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

voxframe

reply to voxframe
The problem is all of these units are in areas that cost more to access than to buy new ones.

I can't afford to RMA them and go through some stupid month long process, only to get more possibly defective units... All while paying more to get to the sites and have techs remove the units etc than I would to buy them brand new.

Basically I have a 300KM radius of mountain tops with these sitting on top. All probably less than a month before snow flies and the sites become nearly un-accessable.

Sorry but these guys blew their chance. It would be different if it was one or two, but I think I MIGHT have one or two out of the entire batch that hasn't shown problems, and I'm almost certain I'm wrong and they all have. No point in replacing shit with more shit.

voxframe

reply to voxframe
Better question...

Does anyone know any decent alternatives to these things?

They MUST be able to accept DC as well as AC and cut over automatically. (ToughSwitch is out of the question due to that. Also I need an injector, not necessarily a switch)

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON
reply to voxframe
I was at my pop replacing a crashed raid array and also noticed that a fan was bad. The one like you said. With the sticker you can see thru the case.
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca