buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

buckweet1980 to houkouonchi

to houkouonchi

Re: just upgraded to 150/60

said by houkouonchi:

Amazing what newer tech's will say to try to get out of an ethernet install (LOL).

Thats one nice thing about business connections is the business guys are usually more experienced and will run ethernet anyway so I didn't have that problem at all even though I already ran my own ethernet they told me they would have ran it because I was a business customer.

My tech told me MoCa was faster when he installed it.. I told him I wanted ethernet though and he complied.. Actions like above just show laziness to me. If it wasn't almost guaranteed to work, Verizon wouldn't offer it.
SLAMtech
join:2009-12-03

SLAMtech

There are lazy workers in every occupation. Some techs will go above and beyond and some will just do the bare minimum or less to get out of having to do a difficult job.

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi to buckweet1980

to buckweet1980
said by buckweet1980:

said by houkouonchi:

Amazing what newer tech's will say to try to get out of an ethernet install (LOL).

Thats one nice thing about business connections is the business guys are usually more experienced and will run ethernet anyway so I didn't have that problem at all even though I already ran my own ethernet they told me they would have ran it because I was a business customer.

My tech told me MoCa was faster when he installed it.. I told him I wanted ethernet though and he complied.. Actions like above just show laziness to me. If it wasn't almost guaranteed to work, Verizon wouldn't offer it.

By newer I mean hired in the last few years. Originally all FIOS installs were ethernet for internet data.

FFJOHNL312
Premium Member
join:2007-12-16
Moorestown, NJ

FFJOHNL312 to buckweet1980

Premium Member

to buckweet1980
said by buckweet1980:

said by houkouonchi:

Oh yeah, it's faster alright.....faster for him to do.

And, depending on when the tech was trained, he may have not had/paid attention to the training regarding making up an ethernet cable. These speed tiers are only a recent development, so the focus in training when it was done may not have been on ethernet.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

No reason to run ethernet if youre on the 75Mbps speed package or less. You people are analyzing this way too much.

houkouonchi
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi

said by ITALIAN926:

No reason to run ethernet if youre on the 75Mbps speed package or less. You people are analyzing this way too much.

I had ethernet on 35/35. I am sorry but yes there *is* a reason to run ethernet. More reliable and way less jitter not to mention lower latency.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

Well, then you become the CEO of Verizon and instruct all installers to use ethernet instead of Moca. Youll last maybe a week. On my MoCA connection I get single digit pings and no problems whatsoever.

The only legit reason to use ethernet on sub 75Mbps is if the customer wants to use their own router for internet only. Or ethernet + customer provided switch and router to use Verizon router in combination for TV. Its a rare occasion techs come across this scenario.

houkouonchi
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi

said by ITALIAN926:

Well, then you become the CEO of Verizon and instruct all installers to use ethernet instead of Moca. Youll last maybe a week. On my MoCA connection I get single digit pings and no problems whatsoever.

The only legit reason to use ethernet on sub 75Mbps is if the customer wants to use their own router for internet only. Or ethernet + customer provided switch and router to use Verizon router in combination for TV. Its a rare occasion techs come across this scenario.

To each his own. To me a having 0.1ms of jitter instead of 1-3ms of jitter is well worth the Ethernet connection not to mention one less device I don't even have to have powered.

Also customer provided/switch router can be used even with moca so I don't think everyone would agree that is a 'legit' reason either. Its subjective. Atleast the modem can be a dumb bridge device for moca and it isnt like uverse where you are stuck behind their crap router/nat with limited sized nat tables.

That being said I have always done bonding/load balancing and had multiple FIOS connections pretty much from the start so needless to say regardless of type or speed I was going to go ethernet. Originally i had one 35/35 business and one 35/35 residential (with tv/phone) and both were Ethernet installs.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

I didn't realize there could be an illegitimate reason for ethernet over coax , originally all installs were ethernet and using the verizon issued router. I have always had ethernet and it does perform better for a host of reasons.

The benefit for most homeowners though of MOCA is that they can make use of the existing cable infrastructure to network their homes with simple MOCA adapters (ECB2200) or additional MOCA routers.

From a pure performance standpoint ethernet is better and has considerably more bandwidth than MOCA currently does and like Houk. stated there is less jitter and typically less latency.

The average homeowner though will never notice this much less make it an issue.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

When mine was installed (25/25) I just asked the installer to do ethernet. He said OK, however it wouldn't be supported and I had to have my actiontec there for diagnostics -- which isn't true but he thought what I was doing was cool. My actiontec is powered off... It's not for a non-network person though, so I can understand why Moca makes sense for 99% of the people because it can do the net and the DVR/STB use it, and most people have coax. Makes 100% sense. As things get faster, ethernet will probably take over.

For me, my house is 100% ethernet, and I run my TV right to a HDHR prime, which doesn't need the actiontec, and my ethernet cable goes into my Cisco router, and I understand that is the vast minority. However Verizon worked with me and I am very happy.