Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to bluedemon

Premium Member

to bluedemon

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal is released today.

Could you elaborate? I don't see any major resemblances.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

The lay sorta looks like something you'd find on a tablet. I'm wondering why everyone is gearing their OSes to mimic the look of a tablet OS.

Is the people behind Ubuntu looking to have it run on a tablet?
I think it would be "neat", to have the full blown OS on a tablet instead of Android.

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

said by Snakeoil:

Yes. At the UDS for 12.04 in Orlando it was announced that work would begin to have Ubuntu running on tablets, phones and TVs. The phone and tablet work has been pretty stagnant to the best of my knowledge. Ubuntu TV work is well on its way.
Todays' Unity interface would be horrible to run on a portable device as the interface requires a lot of keyboard use to be effective. It is also designed to try to get people from placing stuff on their desktop. On tablets desktops are key to easy usability.
So Unity has a long way to go before it will be ready to work on portable handheld devices, but getting it there is a longterm goal of the project.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

The lay sorta looks like something you'd find on a tablet. I'm wondering why everyone is gearing their OSes to mimic the look of a tablet OS.

I think it would be "neat", to have the full blown OS on a tablet instead of Android.

Android is a full blown OS. What are you talking about? It is based on the Linux kernel we all love and can be manipulated with the same commands, provided you have the binaries. The Android OpenVPN installer, for example, installs a compiled Linux OpenVPN binary, which uses the same config. Btw, I always vpn my phone. I don't trust the airwaves as far as I can throw them.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I know Android is based on Linux, I also know it's on tablets/smart phones. But Android doesn't run on laptops/desktops [as far as I know. Maybe someone managed to hack it so it does, I dunno].
I have a Nexus 7, and Jellybean is a lot different from the Ubuntu that I am running on my PC. But then again, I'm more of a user and not a programmer. I tried programing years ago, and found it tedious, mind numbing, and boring. Though I still have to have a little knowledge in it, so I can understand why certain signals are where they are on a circuit board, and what they should look like.
However, windows is going to release Windows 8 very soon. My understanding is the Windows Surface Tablet has the full blown Windows 8 on it, though in tablet form.

Hence why I was asking if Ubuntu was heading the same way. So you could use a tablet, or a PC, and see just about the same thing.
Unlike now. Where Android/IOS are completely different from what is running on their computer counter parts.

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

The name Unity is to suggest that there is Unity between the interface Ubuntu will be using for both their desktop OS and their tablet/phone interface. So yes, a move to the tablet is an explicit goal of Unity. But today it is not usable as a interface where the primary interaction comes through touch.
The Android and iOS interface are designed to specifically target tablets and phones. I have used Android in a desktop configuration (keybaord, mouse, monitor) and it was not a bad experience.