Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

Strange pop up window!

I just updated my netbook and after I restarted it the above window popped up. I have several user accounts set up. Whenever I access a user account the above window pops up. I am concerned that some kind of malware is trying to install itself. Has anyone seen this type of window and why it would be appearing?

b_p_smith
Premium
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON
I assume you're logged in as "Bill L" at that point.

That dialog means that either the shortcut has been set to run as another user (that perhaps doesn't exist), or that it requires Administrator access.

What *exactly* do you do that causes the popup?

Is "Bill L" a machine Administrator?
--
Xplornet WiMAX -} Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT -} about 13 machines running everything you can think of.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
When I set up my computers I always create three user accounts. The first is the initial administrator account which I do not use except in emergencies. I set up another user account with administrator privileges that I normally use. I set up a third restricted user account in case someone needs to use the computer in an emergency. The above window pops up if I power up the netbook and I click on any of the three user icons. The window shows Current user (NETBOOK-1\whatever the name on the account is I click on). In the above case I clicked on the restricted account icon. I am concerned that some kind of malware or spyware is trying to install itself.

b_p_smith
Premium
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON
That is a bit odd. If this was right after applying a Windows Update, it's possible the update itself is doing this, but I've never seen that particular dialog on startup before.

Run MSConfig, look at the Startup tab, and take note of everything there. Look for something "suspect", and you can uncheck them selectively and reboot until you figure out which one is causing that popup.

You may also want to repost this (or ask a mod to move it) to the Security forum, since that's a more appropriate place.

Brad.
--
Xplornet WiMAX -} Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT -} about 13 machines running everything you can think of.