how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kliles

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

[Extreme] How does Rogers disconnect?

Today I switch to start.ca (over cable) and I am wondering how Rogers normally (?) would disconnect me. I have the new modem from Start (Thompson Docsis 3) and of course, at some point I will just swap it with the Rogers modem. At the moment, my Rogers internet is running as usual... do they suddenly stop authenticating my rogers modem or will they do that after I put the Start.ca modem in operation?

Just wondering if anyone has experienced something specific. Maybe Rogers just puts my modem MAC on the 'to be returned soon and no longer authorized list' after today and I can switch over whenever I get around to it today.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

Your Rogers modem will be routed into a "walled garden" - all you'll be able to access with it is a "Subscribe to Rogers!" splash-page. That will be sometime overnight.

There's a decent chance you can hook up your Start modem and it will work right now.

kliles

Mississauga, ON

Thanks. I have hooked it up and it seems to be working. I don't seem to be getting the correct speed, but I am running some tests etc.

daeron

join:2012-05-11
Ottawa

If you aren't getting the right speeds, check out the start forums. Rocca (the owner) looks at posts several times a day to help troubleshoot issues

»Start Communications

kliles

Mississauga, ON

said by daeron:

If you aren't getting the right speeds, check out the start forums. Rocca (the owner) looks at posts several times a day to help troubleshoot issues

»Start Communications

My incorrect speeds were the direct result of the Comwave box ...
When I measured start.ca directly with just the Thomson modem and a wired PC, the speeds were fine. End result is a happy camper.

Bye Rogers! It was a slice.
Expand your moderator at work