Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hchen42

join:1999-12-23
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

[TWC] TWC still charged me modem rental fee!

I just got my monthly bill. Guess what, they still charge me the rental modem fee. Had to call billing. Supposedly the rep credited the amount back. I asked her if there will be charge forward and she said no. Yet, why do I not feel confident and that next month I'll be calling them again?

They are still going to collect that rental amount then apply credit the extra for next month. This is another "shady" practice, IMO, by TWC. If they haven't collected the amount, why are they collecting the over charge amount then credit back?

jh2010

join:2009-09-03
Brooklyn, NY
They did the same to me. 20 minutes on hold to get it fixed.

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2
reply to hchen42
Probably because of the coding, they didn't code you for the customer owned modem like they should. Once they get the customer owned modem code you won't be charged the rental fee.

Elyria

join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH
reply to hchen42
Very strange. Imagine that, a fortune 500 company making a billing error.
I betcha this is a first. I can see huge changes coming and probably a job loss for 50+ employees
I'd file a lawsuit......this is bordering on mental anguish

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to hchen42
On occasions the bill is already in the generating process before the change is made. The change is then reflected on the next bill.

Hob

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to hchen42
I switched to a new modem on Thursday 11 October. I carried my leased modem in to the nearest TW store on Wednesday 17 October around 5 PM. They gave me a receipt.

I was surprised that my bill generated 18 October did not have the charge.

So set your expectations low, and prepare to follow up with them.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to hchen42
b....ch I also got charged with modem fee today while checking MyService bill. Calling customer service now
--
Curious about Sprint improved 3G and growing 4G LTE network? Then check it out at www.s4gru.com

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19
reply to ArgMeMatey
Did not have the charge, correct? That's good as often billing is created 10 days prior to the generated date. (or, was your bill generated October 18th with actually billing cycle the 28th?)

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
said by NightOwl2:

Did not have the charge, correct? That's good as often billing is created 10 days prior to the generated date. (or, was your bill generated October 18th with actually billing cycle the 28th?)

My statements are dated the 17th or 18th of each month. My billing cycle runs from the 24th to the 23rd.

For whatever reason I am getting an error message when trying to view my bill online.

(August) without modem fee was $31.67.
(September) with modem fee was $34.31.
(October) after I returned their modem, is $30.53.

I can only speculate that the lower October amount includes a prorated credit for prepaid modem rental.

Edit: I was finally able to view the bill PDF. In fact, they did credit my account from the date the leased modem was disconnected (11 Oct), not the date I returned it to the TW Store. So I, at least, can't complain.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

@rr.com
Same thing happened to me, just checked my online statement and there we go they charged me for my own modem, had to spend 30 mins on the phone to get it corrected

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..
reply to hchen42
I got my notice on Oct 31st that TWC Carolinas would begin billing rental fees for the modems.

Nov 1 rolls around and I get my bill with the rental fee in it. Not that it was a shock or anything. But 1 day's notice?

Calling in nets me a 15-45 minute hold time.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
kudos:1
Notice has been real spotty in some areas. I have yet to get anything from TWC in the mail or on my bill notes about the change. If not for DSLReports, STC and local media, I would have no clue this was coming.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
reply to hchen42
My owned modem should be delivered tomorrow or monday.

Fleeced

reply to ke4pym
Remember Time Warner Cable bills for the upcoming month, not the previous month.

JHInAustin

@rr.com
reply to hchen42
TWC charged me $3.95 for the modem rental fee after I purchased a SB6141 from Amazon.com a few months ago. I did the online chat support thinking it would just be a simple fix. The analyst said I needed to return the modem with a particular serial number that she recited. I said I returned the TWC modem the day after I purchased the SB6141. I then looked at my cable modem settings and saw that the serial number she had recited was the one that I had purchased! Hilarious!

She said the case needed to be escalated to their escalation department. I waited for about 25 minutes in the chat session before I had to leave.

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19
It's better to call, imo.

JHInAustin

@rr.com
reply to JHInAustin
said by JHInAustin :

I waited for about 25 minutes in the chat session before I had to leave.

I left and came back. After about an hour of total time waiting for the person in the escalation department to respond, somebody finally connected to the chat window and was able to resolve the billing codes and refund the modem charge.

quickguide1

join:2010-02-10
okay my bill shows the modem lease charge from november 9 to december 8. Does this mean i'm going to get charged for this no matter what and i better send back their box by like december 1 if i dont want to get charged another month for december 9 to may 8?

Fleeced

reply to hchen42
It means you will be charged from Nov 9 to Dec 8th and if you do not have their modem for that period and you have prepaid, then you will get a discount on your next bill.

It's not shady, it's how they bill. They bill for the upcoming month, not the month you have used. You get a prorated amount if you return the modem in the middle of the time frame.