uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ripperjack

join:2012-01-12
Fredericksburg, TX
Reviews:
·Charter

What is Sprint doing to Virgin?

I connect to Virgin Broadband2Go 3G, via a Mifi 2200 unit. I am located in Fredericksburg, Texas, close to the new expansion areas, north west of the San Antonio LTe site.

I have noticed over the past fortnight (2 weeks), that my 3G connection is becoming highly unstable. I often have to power cycle the MiFi unit to reconnect to the 3G (EvDO Rev. A) signal, after I boot my machine. Also, while connected I see that the modem will often drop back to 2G (1xRTT), which I can only fix by rebooting the modem.

What the hell is Sprint doing with the Virgin 3G signal?

I fear that with Sprints 4G LTe expansion efforts in my area, they are screwing over the 3G signal, by drowning it out with the newer 4G spectrum. This would be all well and good if I could even GET the 4G signal, as I would upgrade. However I am still too far away from San Antonio to use their new 4G LTe product, and have to resort to the relatively stone age 3G service.

Sprint... STOP cannibalizing Virgins service, just so you can shovel 4G out the door!!!

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
said by Ripperjack:

I fear that with Sprints 4G LTe expansion efforts in my area, they are screwing over the 3G signal, by drowning it out with the newer 4G spectrum. This would be all well and good if I could even GET the 4G signal, as I would upgrade. However I am still too far away from San Antonio to use their new 4G LTe product, and have to resort to the relatively stone age 3G service.

Sprint... STOP cannibalizing Virgins service, just so you can shovel 4G out the door!!!

Virgin's signal is sprint's signal... they are the same signal.

I have heard of many complain about their service when sprint is upgrding the network in their area so perhaps this is a good sign (when the 4G upgrade is done you have much better back haul on 3G as well)... or it could just be a tower that is broken. They don't have it listed on the upgrade map »network.sprint.com/search/Freder···g%2C+TX/ so I am guessing the tower is overloaded or broken.

If you have the patience to deal with it call virgin mobile tech support and report the issue.

Good luck!

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to Ripperjack
I am located about 40 miles east of you, and have an almost full-time connection to a Sprint tower along Hwy 290 with no such troubles as you've experienced, so it would seem you have a local tower problem RJ.

I do have connections problems ~1 time/month, usually Mondays, which feels to me like maintenance of some sort (i.e. not tower issues, but network) but otherwise BB2G has been rock-solid for me with my MC760VM and Cradlepoint router.