share rss forum feed

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to dillyhammer

Re: Locked in Modem

I never said it was traditional. I said for all intents and purposes it functioned no differently than a traditional phone service.

If you consider Cogeco to be "VoIP" than Bell is, too. To claim one is and the other isn't is an exercise in hypocrisy, and not something I will agree to disagree on.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
To say they "work the same for all intents and purposes" is just plain ridiculous, and totally misleading.

Bell = POTS.
Cogeco = VoIP.

It's not hypocrisy. It's reality.

That's why OP is inquiring about the lock on his device - which I would recommend he NOT tamper with as it may actually damage the, you know, VoIP ATA / Modem.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
No, it's not. Like I said, if you continue to say that Cogeco is VoIP while Bell is not, you're engaging in nothing short of hypocrisy for no reason other than failing to understand what each of these things are.

Both services involve copper, and both involve IP transit (most likely using carrier-grade G.711) on a private non-Internet network. The only difference is that the copper involved in most, but not all, Bell's services is longer.

Furthermore, I fully expect you to call Bell's service in fibre-fed neighbourhoods (like new developments in Thorold) a VoIP service as well, since it functions identically to Cogeco's, including a conversion to IP transit on the customer's premises rather than at the switch and a battery backup. So I'm assuming that you're going to say that those customers have no choice but to use VoIP and would never get reliable 911, right?

Cogeco and Bell do work the same way - user picks up phone, which is connected to copper, which is then converted to IP and sent over a private network which is then converted back to copper which is connected to the other end. Where and how they achieve that and how much copper is involved is irrelevant. Stop fooling yourself that there's anything special about POTS. There isn't.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
And all of this is helping the OP how?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by No_Strings:

And all of this is helping the OP how?

So that the OP knows that no matter what kind of service he has - be it POTS or cable - he doesn't need to worry about his house burning down because 911 is somehow less reliable, and the lock on the modem is a product of that.

That good enough?