uniqs

bcronin
Premium Member
join:2004-03-27
Hyde Park, NY

bcronin

Premium Member

Re: Sporadic corrupt downloads

Hmmm, ok, so I uninstalled PD and downloaded 10 copies of the 1GB video and all of them are fine. Previously I had not gotten more than 4 or 5 good ones in a row. So, I think I may have found the cause. Thanks for your help in confirming that TCP cound not be that cause of the sort of corruption I observed. The exactly-8k-missing-bytes was a key clue.

Now to try to convince Raxco ...
--
bc
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard

said by bcronin:

Hmmm, ok, so I uninstalled PD and downloaded 10 copies of the 1GB video and all of them are fine. Previously I had not gotten more than 4 or 5 good ones in a row. So, I think I may have found the cause. Thanks for your help in confirming that TCP cound not be that cause of the sort of corruption I observed. The exactly-8k-missing-bytes was a key clue.

--
bc

You did WHAT exactly to eliminate the problem?
What in the world is "PD" ?
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Syosset, NY

UofMiamiGrad

Premium Member

said by cablewizzard:

said by bcronin:

--
bc

You did WHAT exactly to eliminate the problem?
What in the world is "PD" ?

Perfect Disk I assume, since he mentioned it in earlier post.

bcronin
Premium Member
Hyde Park, NY

bcronin

Premium Member

Correct, sorry for the confusion. Preliminary indications are that uninstalling it may have solved it, but so far the evidence is circumstantial at best. If I don't get any more corrupted downloads over the next 4-5 days, then I'll have more confidence that this was indeed the answer. In the meantime I've alerted the support staff at Raxco that there may be a problem with PerfectDisk. They're skeptical of course (as I suppose I would be too), but time will tell.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

Is using different computer an option? Something with fairly different software setup (OS, etc)? If you still have problems with another PC that probably means the problem is not related to specific PC.

If you don't have another PC it may even be worth trying some virtual machines that you can rent from Amazon EC2 on hourly basis. If problem still occurs on VM then more than likely the root cause is in the source for your files because with Amazon VM you would be using different network to access the source.

bcronin
Premium Member
Hyde Park, NY

bcronin

Premium Member

More testing revealed that the problem was still happening even after PerfectDisk was uninstalled. So next I focused on nod32. I uninstalled that and downloaded 4-5GB worth of videos and didn't have one error. Then I reinstalled it and downloaded the same set of videos again and 9 of the 11 files were corrupt. Searching through the nod32 options led me to a feature called "protocol filtering" whereby nod32 claims to scan incoming http and pop3 data streams looking for trouble. That seemed to me to be a likely thing to try to turn off. After I did and re-downloaded all the files again (I'm glad I don't have a data cap , they were all clean. So I've concluded now that the problem lies in nod32's protocol filtering feature. Apologies to Raxco for a hasty conclusion earlier today based on not-enough-testing.
--
bc
bcronin

bcronin

Premium Member

Quick follow-up. It turns out this issue was triggered by a recent Windows Update, KB2735855. See this thread for more information:
»www.wilderssecurity.com/ ··· t=332920
--
bc
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

I'm glad you found the cause. I must admit, I thought it would be difficult if not impossible to solve. Kudos
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to bcronin

to bcronin
The Windows hooks that the anti-virus vendors use seem to cause a lot of problems. McAfee has had a non-paged pool memory leak for weeks, caused by the interaction of their code and the Windows hooks. We've been waiting for McAfee to release a fix. Meanwhile, I have to reboot every day.