Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

more cores coming to an intel cpu in a 2011 mobo socket

considering 6 cores cost $500 imagine what cost 10 cores will be by Xmas 2013...

»pcper.com/news/Processors/Intel-···e-EP-CPU

12 cores should follow in 2014, though it's unclear if 2011 will support it.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

Something tells me that Ivy Bridge-E will more decisively slaughter bog-standard Ivy Bridge compared to SB-E over SB.

Still, it is kind of an awkward time for CPU's and boards. So much of the potential out there being limited by how many PCI-E lanes these CPU's have; and the only boards that actually seem to have enough lanes to support "the works" are almost exclusively dual-socket boards that would require all the added expense of server CPU's and RAM.

Even now according to Tom's Hardware, just two Thunderbolt ports are enough to theoretically monopolize all the available PCI-E bandwidth on a standard Ivy Bridge, not even leaving enough to satisfy a keyboard and mouse.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Packeteers

I admit, I want it. If I had the money for it I would get it. 10 hyper threaded ivy bridge extreme cores, not to mention the 12/24 xeons, sound amazing. Way more than my gaming would need, and by they time it would the pcie bandwidth the cpu supports would be obsolete, still it would be great for lan parties. Couple it with 16-32GB of ram, run all the servers for the party on your box and still have plenty of cpu headroom left for your gaming. Not to mention how nice those would compile code.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

well, after years of old Pentium computers i just upgraded to an already old 4 core AMD Phenom on a AM3+ mobo under the assumption that when AMD's improved 4+4 core Steamroller chips come out in 2014 I'll have a cpu worth upgrading to. in the meantime, nothing i do uses half the 4 core cpu power (WEI 7.6) i already have, so dreaming about 12 core cpus, let alone ever affording one is not something i would even consider at least until 4x1080p screens or eyeglasses become affordable near the end of this decade.