Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

Iran renews Internet attacks on U.S. banks

THURSDAY, 18 OCTOBER 2012
The Wall Street Journal
Officials Blame Tehran for Sophisticated Disruptions of Capital One and BB&T Websites; More Strikes Planned Thursday
WASHINGTON—Iranian hackers renewed a campaign of cyberattacks against U.S. banks this week, targeting Capital One Financial Corp and BB&T Corp and openly defying U.S. warnings to halt, U.S. officials and others involved in the investigation into the attacks said.

The attacks, which disrupted the banks' websites, showed the ability of the Iranian group to sustain its cyberassault on the nation's largest banks for a fifth week, even as it announced its plans to attack in advance.

U.S. officials said the attacks against banks, and others against Middle Eastern energy companies, were sponsored by the Iranian government and approved at high levels as part of a low-grade cyberwar that officials warned could lead to retaliation.

Unclear is at what point attacks on individual banks constitute an assault on the overall financial system that would call for a forceful response from the U.S. military, which has formed a "Cyber Command" to help defend government computers and critical civilian networks.

"It is a fair question," said a senior U.S. official. "I am not sure I have the answer to it."

Iranian officials didn't respond to requests to comment.

BB&T worked Wednesday to restore the bank's website, and Capital One was adding new security to its website, which was attacked on Tuesday, the banks said. BB&T operates the 11th biggest U.S. bank, and Capital One runs the 13th largest, according to a Federal Reserve ranking by consolidated assets.

In previous weeks, the group had stated which banks it would target, but its announcement posted on the Internet this week didn't say which banks it planned to attack. The hacker group, which calls itself Qassam Cyber Fighters, said it planned further attacks Thursday.

The announcement, posted Tuesday, took a swipe at Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, who last week issued a veiled warning to Iran to stop its cyberattacks and announced that the Pentagon spends $3 billion a year on cyber defenses.

The Qassam Cyber Fighters says it is retaliating for the anti-Islamic video made in America that has caused protests in Muslim countries. U.S. officials, however, say the hackers claim privately to be attacking U.S. financial institutions and energy companies in the Persian Gulf in response to crippling sanctions that have cut oil production in half and sent the Iranian currency tumbling.

"We have a suggestion for Mr. Panetta," the group wrote in garbled English in their announcement on the Internet. It said that instead of "spending several billions that won't be good for you, tell your henchmen on YouTube" to remove the anti-Islamic video.

The hacking group's statement Tuesday also said it believed that U.S. banks were "howling under pressure from the attacks."

"They clearly specialize in computers and not Shakespearean prose—in English or Persian," said a senior defense official, after reading the announcement. "We take all cyberthreats seriously and believe that we need to do all we can as a country to defend ourselves against them."

The Iranian attacks started at the beginning of this year when a few U.S. banks were pounded with unusually potent so-called denial-of-service attacks, which bombard websites to try to knock them off-line.

»www.iranfocus.com/en/index.php?o···temid=26
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

Not that the excuse is needed to invest/spend the shekels but hey if they are offering

Cudni

RTfM2010

join:2010-07-07
reply to Name Game

Nukular weapons of mass destruction are so 20th century.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Name Game

»infosecisland.com/blogview/22522···ran.html

According to this link it tells a different story?

High tension in the cyberspace, recently a series of attacks have hit oil companies and also banking and Iran was blamed for most of them. This time the scenario appears overturned, according a news published a huge cyber attack have targeted Iranian infrastructure and communications companies, causing serious damages to Internet connections.

--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

Would it also hint that both the US and Iran have nothing to do with all this and a third party is involved?

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to norwegian

Really?

quote:
Yesterday an attack with a traffic of several gigabytes hit the Internet infrastructure, which caused an unwanted slowness in the country’s Internet
Crap there are kids in pre-school who could do this and hence take down their internet. If your internet infrastructure consists of 3 old phone lines, then the release of an obscure 'reality show wanna be' sex tape is going to take down your internet. Come on now if you want to play with the big boys, you gotta have the big boy pipes (you couldn't take down my house with that).

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

said by Link Logger:

Really?

quote:
Yesterday an attack with a traffic of several gigabytes hit the Internet infrastructure, which caused an unwanted slowness in the country’s Internet
... (you couldn't take down my house with that).

Really?
Several gigabytes cannot take you offline?
"several gigabytes" is meaningless without a time frame.
The quote refers to 'yesterday' which could be seen as a 24hr time frame but the word 'attack' has me believing that the offending traffic wasn't neatly spread out over the course of 24 hrs.
I don't have a reference but I'll guess what was meant to be communicated was more as
"Yesterday, attacks of several gigabytes within minutes..."
A home user on dialup could handle a few gigabytes of traffic if it were spread out over a large enough window.
Despite the lack of clarity in the quote I seriously doubt the 'several gigabytes' referred to total traffic in the previous 24hrs.
That's just too silly to consider.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Name Game

Those actually behind the attacks obviously know who they are... but from the outside, things may not always be as they appear. With the existence of compromised, bot-laden servers all over the planet, it can be a really difficult thing to know for certain where a given attack is necessarily ultimately originating (though the data fusion/analysis centers of a few 3-letter agency in the US or a few other places might eventually be able to sniff out the full traffic pattern clearly enough). That creates a fertile scenario for real-time deception and false-accusation, all of which could play into the hands of a number of parties around the world. Stated another way, just because an attack is directed at interests in nation A and claims are published by the attackers that imply they're from nation B, the attacks might actually be initiated from nation C with the intent of ramping up the hostility between A and B. And still other possibilities exist. It's all a ghostly, deceptive business...
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

I'm an old Cold War Warrior and used to dealing in my day with the USSR. Ah, how I miss the FSU. The world as a whole and we as a nation were so much safer and secure then.

The FSU was the behind the scenes "master" that kept a generally tight lease on its sponsored states and the terrorist organizations that those states controlled thereby acting as a buffer for us. The FSU didn't want problems between us and them due to those terrorist's states or the organizations they sponsored. The FSU wasn't perfect in their control but the overall did a good job.

Now that the situation no longer as it was with the FSU demise and there is no control over organizations like the extremist jihadist Muslim terrorists groups like Hamas, Hezbollah, the Muslim Brotherhood and whoever or wherever they are.

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

Really?

quote:
Crap there are kids in pre-school who could do this and hence take down their internet. If your internet infrastructure consists of 3 old phone lines, then the release of an obscure 'reality show wanna be' sex tape is going to take down your internet. Come on now if you want to play with the big boys, you gotta have the big boy pipes (you couldn't take down my house with that).

Blake

It was likely several gigabits/second, but the journalist didn't know his Gbps from his GB.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
reply to Snowy

Several Gigabytes applied per second would knock what offline? A home user, small business, but to knock off a country, time for them to grow some pipes.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

said by Link Logger:

Several Gigabytes applied per second would knock what offline? A home user, small business, but to knock off a country, time for them to grow some pipes.

My point was it would knock your elcheapo router offline but yeah,
I agree you can never have too much pipe.