Great news! - CRTC blocks Astral buy by Bell

»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 4621510/

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

The writing was on the wall. The CRTC has made some decisions lately that are not something we would typically expect to see. The latest one I saw was denying Rogers the right to simsub CityTV in Atlantic Canada without a transmitter. There's been some others, too.

If this is a trend of what is going to happen from this point forward, the CRTC may actually turn into the regulatory body it was intended to be all along.

This gem is nice, too.
quote:
The Commission finds that BCE has not discharged its burden and demonstrated that, on balance, this transaction is in the public interest. The benefits proposed would advantage BCE and its services, but the Commission is not persuaded that the transaction would provide significant and unequivocal benefits to the Canadian broadcasting system and to Canadians sufficient to outweigh the concerns

FKharper
@bell.ca

FKharper to epsilon3

Anon

to epsilon3
WOW! maybe someone at CRTC finally grew a pair of balls!
WOW WOW! who knows, maybe there's hope for Canadians after all. The internet procedures seem to have taken a different tone lately too, maybe someone at Bhell pissed on his Corn Flakes

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to epsilon3

Premium Member

to epsilon3
I'm glad it's official...

Looking at the whole mess though I couldn't imagine the CRTC would have approved it.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to epsilon3

Premium Member

to epsilon3
HAHAHAH BURN BHELL!!!!

Farchord
Lost somewhere.
join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC

Farchord to epsilon3

to epsilon3
Bell "SHOCKED" by CRTC decision, appeals to the federal cabinet....

»www.bce.ca/news-and-medi ··· rvention

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Consumers were burned in this, wow were going to be denied more choice, content and can confirm, so says Lord Cope.

Boy I've heard some spinning but this one takes the cake

XR999
See ya Rogers.
join:2010-05-24
Ottawa, ON

XR999 to epsilon3

to epsilon3
The people who wrote that release have some balls or no concept of morality, I couldn't even start writing anything along those lines without bursting out in laughter at what utter ******** that release is.

Congrats to the CRTC for seeing what was plainly a terrible deal for consumers and other companies in the media business. If this is what we can expect out of the CRTC on a consistent basis now, I see hope for Canadian Internet and cellphone users.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to Farchord

to Farchord
said by Farchord:

Bell "SHOCKED" by CRTC decision, appeals to the federal cabinet....

LOL.. so shocked that they probably had the thing written before the CRTC decision was announced. Seriously...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to epsilon3

to epsilon3
Why the CRTC decision is really bad for Canada and consumers.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to epsilon3

Premium Member

to epsilon3
It's a good day! I smiled when I heard this on the radio yesterday. While it is way to early to say faith has been restored in the CRTC there is now some physical evidence to show that smarter, impartial minds have left the golf course and taken to being serious about all the danger these deals are to Canadians.

This almost killed me laughing though:
quote:
Bell has confirmed that senior CRTC officials met privately with Bell's cable competitors multiple times in the days and weeks before the commission began its public hearings into the Bell-Astral transaction, while denying Bell the opportunity for any such consultations - calling into question the impartiality of the entire process.
Because Bell has never met privately with anyone from the CRTC for other matters of national interest :rolleyes:

words4money
@videotron.ca

words4money to DKS

Anon

to DKS
said by DKS:

LOL did you read his first draft of that useless rant? Have you even noticed it been updated?

Terence Corcoran | Oct 18, 2012 7:58 PM ET | Last Updated: Oct 18, 2012 8:26 PM ET

In his original rant he blamed foreign ownership directly on the CRTC instead of where it really lays, Industry Canada. The guy has no clue what he's talking about.

Maybe he will start a "Dissolve the CRTC petition"

This guy is clueless. Maybe he should go back to writing about real-estate.

cpsycho
join:2008-06-03
Treadeu Land

cpsycho to epsilon3

to epsilon3
I got to admit Harper put someone in there with some balls. I still don't like Harper though.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
Nice find, I wonder how much Bell paid Corcoran to write that.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Nice find, I wonder how much Bell paid Corcoran to write that.

Corcoran is trying to position himself as the voice of "Canadian Telecom" even moreso than Goldberg.

He started by trying to pick a fight with Geist, and Geist ignored him, while Nowak called him out for the idiot he was being.

Corcoran in not only a fool, he's the fool we've always lampooned everyone else as being. If that's the best Big Telco's got it's no wonder they're taking hits right now.
epsilon3
join:2008-03-29
canada

epsilon3 to DKS

to DKS
Corcoran IS NOT a true journalist ... he is always keeping Bell's side ... Check his comments (same as Goldberg's) a while ago when independent ISPs faced Bell ... He is always in bed with Bell, ALWAYS ... this is NOT journalism ... it is Bell propaganda

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to epsilon3

Premium Member

to epsilon3
Geist also stating that there seems to be more consumer focus at the CRTC of late:

»www.michaelgeist.ca/cont ··· 672/125/
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

haha a national post , post. The bend over for corporates paper led by the arch evil convicted criminal , named right MR. BLACK.

Nice try we need diversification not monopolization. END of any story.
The fact shaw liked bell getting it is proof its a bad deal.

Farchord
Lost somewhere.
join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC

Farchord to epsilon3

to epsilon3
My views on this is that the decision is good for consumers. Of course it is, it is complete unequivical logic that having one big (and in alot of people's eyes, evil) company stirring most of a country's medias is not a good thing.

Now let's look at one of Bell's moving points: If you do not approve the merger, Netflix/youtube/... will take over!

Irrelevant. They are totally different media types. So Bell's solutions was to push a canadian equivalent of Netflix in Canada? How is THAT helping!? Maybe they are trying to stifle cable cutters. Hah! I know for a fact that wouldn't help much... Get better content on TV, then we'll see.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to funny0

Premium Member

to funny0
said by funny0:

said by DKS:

haha a national post , post. The bend over for corporates paper led by the arch evil convicted criminal , named right MR. BLACK.

Nice try we need diversification not monopolization. END of any story.
The fact shaw liked bell getting it is proof its a bad deal.

Black is long gone, he sold the papers to canwest that when bankrupt. It's owned by Postmedia now, headed by the city slicker Paul Godfrey.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to epsilon3

Mod

to epsilon3
While some of the Post Media papers have drifted away from being neocon, the FP & NP's heritage of neocon positioning remains. And if there's on thing we're learning about neocon government, it's government of the people (not the corporation) for the corporation, by the corporation.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar to words4money

to words4money
said by words4money :

said by DKS:

LOL did you read his first draft of that useless rant? Have you even noticed it been updated?

Terence Corcoran | Oct 18, 2012 7:58 PM ET | Last Updated: Oct 18, 2012 8:26 PM ET

In his original rant he blamed foreign ownership directly on the CRTC instead of where it really lays, Industry Canada. The guy has no clue what he's talking about.

Maybe he will start a "Dissolve the CRTC petition"

This guy is clueless. Maybe he should go back to writing about real-estate.

Corcoran is well known for ultra right wing perspectives and pro big business stance. The only one slimier than Corcoran on the business front is Kevin O'Leary.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by AkFubar:

The only one slimier than Corcoran on the business front is Kevin O'Leary.

At least O'Leary gains some benefit from it, so his stance is understanble, if only because we can all relate to being self serving.

Corcoran on the other hand is just a mouthpiece... someone should make a Baghdad-Bob pic, kinda like the one that was going around for Goldberg for a bit...
Vomio
join:2008-04-01

Vomio to epsilon3

to epsilon3
Bell is whining, not winning.

I cannot see the cabinet overturning this one, the voter backlash would be too high. No amount of news filtering through their owned media outlets would stop it.

Time for a rethink by Bell's management, the weather is cold, golf time in warmer climes is expensive and thanks to the Internet, way too public.

The old game plan is broken, how about pleasing that annoying commodity the consumer and really building your business? More market share the old fashioned way, long term that is the best way to build value for investors too.

dsa
@bell.ca

dsa to elwoodblues

Anon

to elwoodblues
The cable companies paying the CRTC is not surprising , the problem is that something is going on , look at the way the president talk sure seem not his way of being normally.
Expand your moderator at work

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to Vomio

Anon

to Vomio

Re: Great news! - CRTC blocks Astral buy by Bell

Heritage minister said the CRTC ruling will stand.
»www.reuters.com/article/ ··· 20121019

Bell will have no choice but to go to court.

rogersmogers
@start.ca

rogersmogers to epsilon3

Anon

to epsilon3
It will be overturned.

CRTC is wrong on this one just like on the WIND issue.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to Vomio

to Vomio
said by Vomio:

I cannot see the cabinet overturning this one

From the CBC article:

In an email circulated Friday, the Conservative government said the federal cabinet "has no legal ability to overturn this decision."

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to rogersmogers

Premium Member

to rogersmogers
said by rogersmogers :

It will be overturned.
CRTC is wrong on this one just like on the WIND issue.

The only way they will get this overturned is through the federal court, and doing so will be exceedingly difficult because Bell will need to prove that the CRTC made an outright error in law.

Cabinet has no power to reverse this, and as has already been pointed out they will not send it back to the CRTC for review.