join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to epsilon3

Re: Great news! - CRTC blocks Astral buy by Bell

While some of the Post Media papers have drifted away from being neocon, the FP & NP's heritage of neocon positioning remains. And if there's on thing we're learning about neocon government, it's government of the people (not the corporation) for the corporation, by the corporation.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to words4money

said by words4money :

said by DKS:

Why the CRTC decision is really bad for Canada and consumers.

LOL did you read his first draft of that useless rant? Have you even noticed it been updated?

Terence Corcoran | Oct 18, 2012 7:58 PM ET | Last Updated: Oct 18, 2012 8:26 PM ET

In his original rant he blamed foreign ownership directly on the CRTC instead of where it really lays, Industry Canada. The guy has no clue what he's talking about.

Maybe he will start a "Dissolve the CRTC petition"

This guy is clueless. Maybe he should go back to writing about real-estate.

Corcoran is well known for ultra right wing perspectives and pro big business stance. The only one slimier than Corcoran on the business front is Kevin O'Leary.
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by AkFubar:

The only one slimier than Corcoran on the business front is Kevin O'Leary.

At least O'Leary gains some benefit from it, so his stance is understanble, if only because we can all relate to being self serving.

Corcoran on the other hand is just a mouthpiece... someone should make a Baghdad-Bob pic, kinda like the one that was going around for Goldberg for a bit...
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Vomio

join:2008-04-01
Reviews:
·odynet
reply to epsilon3

Bell is whining, not winning.

»www.bce.ca/news-and-media/releas···rvention

I cannot see the cabinet overturning this one, the voter backlash would be too high. No amount of news filtering through their owned media outlets would stop it.

Time for a rethink by Bell's management, the weather is cold, golf time in warmer climes is expensive and thanks to the Internet, way too public.

The old game plan is broken, how about pleasing that annoying commodity the consumer and really building your business? More market share the old fashioned way, long term that is the best way to build value for investors too.

dsa

@bell.ca
reply to elwoodblues

The cable companies paying the CRTC is not surprising , the problem is that something is going on , look at the way the president talk sure seem not his way of being normally.

Expand your moderator at work

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to Vomio

Re: Great news! - CRTC blocks Astral buy by Bell

Heritage minister said the CRTC ruling will stand.
»www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/···20121019

Bell will have no choice but to go to court.

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to epsilon3

It will be overturned.

CRTC is wrong on this one just like on the WIND issue.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to Vomio

said by Vomio:

I cannot see the cabinet overturning this one

From the CBC article:

In an email circulated Friday, the Conservative government said the federal cabinet "has no legal ability to overturn this decision."

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
reply to rogersmogers

said by rogersmogers :

It will be overturned.

The only way they will get this overturned is through the federal court, and doing so will be exceedingly difficult because Bell will need to prove that the CRTC made an outright error in law.

Cabinet has no power to reverse this, and as has already been pointed out they will not send it back to the CRTC for review.

epsilon3

join:2008-03-29
canada
reply to rogersmogers

said by rogersmogers :

It will be overturned.

It will not be overturned! Is is a GREAT decision!

And if you say it is a wrong decision ...then you are not from Canada ...or you do not understand the situation ... (while I see you post from a start.ca account so you should know it)

CRTC was not wrong on the WIND neither ... look, you can now have unlimited calling + features at $25. Before, you could not have something similar, plain and simple. The closest in value would cost you at lest $100.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by epsilon3:

CRTC was not wrong on the WIND neither ... look, you can now have unlimited calling + features at $25. Before, you could not have something similar, plain and simple. The closest in value would cost you at lest $100.

He's referrng the CRTC originally blocking WIND due to a motion filed by Telus, the CRTC wasn't wrong, it interpreted the law correctly, Tony Clement ultimately intervened to have WIND launch, and then updated the law to make WIND's operations in compliance.

In this case however, the CRTC made a decision, and that decision was that it would cause more harm than good and they're correct in making that decision.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

said by rogersmogers :

It will be overturned.

The only way they will get this overturned is through the federal court, and doing so will be exceedingly difficult because Bell will need to prove that the CRTC made an outright error in law.

Cabinet has no power to reverse this, and as has already been pointed out they will not send it back to the CRTC for review.

What law? This is a regulatory issue, not a legal one.
I see this heading to the SCC, BHELL will not give up on this, they are like a rabid dog,who has had his bone taken away from him.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to rogersmogers

If you have nothing to provide to the discussion please refrain from posting.

Seems the majority of the people here are in favour of the CRTC ruling, recognizing it for what it is, a win for consumers.

They were wrong, ok why?

fspilot

join:2002-03-19
Scarborough, ON
reply to epsilon3

Ottawa says it can’t intervene in CRTC’s BCE-Astral decision.

»www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in···4623306/

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

What law? This is a regulatory issue, not a legal one.
I see this heading to the SCC, BHELL will not give up on this, they are like a rabid dog,who has had his bone taken away from him.

Bell will try and claim that the Broadcast Act only allows for the CRTC to regulate ownership and content requirements, not issues of public interest. Bell will argue that by taking into account public interest the CRTC made an error in law and that the ruling should be overturned by the court.

They won't win, but it won't stop them from trying.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to elwoodblues

To elwoodblues - Pardon? You just said it's a regulatory issue, not a legal one. In which case, why would it go to the Supreme court. If it's a regulatory overstep on the part of the CRTC, then that's up to the Minister to intervene. And whoever suggested that the minister(s) wouldn't intervene because it would shake a hornets' nest was dead on!

To Gone - Cabinet DOES have the power to intervene, but they won't.

General - The CRTC has guidelines established in conjunction with the two ministries responsible (Industry and Heritage) with regard to acceptable levels of media concentration at any given level. This is why they got away with buying CTV et al ... even though that was also bad for Canadians. In the case of CTV what was so wrong was the vertical concentration of BDU and media provider, but that wasn't part of their guidelines.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by sbrook:

To Gone - Cabinet DOES have the power to intervene, but they won't.

Cabinet only has the power to send it back to the CRTC. They don't have the power to outright overrule like they did with Wind because it doesn't involve a license granted by Industry Canada.

But, they won't, for reasons obvious that have been stated here already.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

They won't win, but it won't stop them from trying.

Of course, as a corporate entity they're obliged to push it as far as it can go... in fact Astral's shares dropped by about 17% today due to the refusal... so even if Bell were to drop it, Astral's shareholders would most likely demand that the matter be pushed all the way to the SCC
--

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to epsilon3

Remember this falls under the Broadcasting Act, not the Telecommunications Act and in part, the radiocommunications act, and that Act considers the broadcasting system to be one single system under the control of the CRTC, with guidelines and goals provided by the Governor in Council (i.e. Cabinet).

GiC may issue broad directives which are obligatory which of itself is kind of weird, but GiC may for example in this case, provide a directive which says Maximum concentration under the control of a single corporation shall not exceed say 50% of the broadcast outlets in the country, which might allow this to have gone through.

Bottom line is that because so much of these acts is written in regulation to implement law, it leaves an awful lot of room for administerial and political abuse. They used get out clauses like "to implement the policy under the act", so you set out with wishy washy policy, which is subject to ministerial direction, and pass it to admisterial folks at the CRTC, and it could end up looking NOTHNG like what was really intended.

It's why golf is so effective.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to sbrook

Sbrook,I'm speculating here, to me it's a regulatory issue, I say they are heading to the SCC, because the Federal courts may/will dismiss it, and up the chain it goes.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook See Profile

It's why golf is so effective.

I miss JF.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
reply to El Quintron

It could be said that Astral's board were acting in a fiscally irresponsible manner in accepting Bell's offer since the chances of failure were so high. In some ways it just turns out to be another pump and dump stock scam.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
reply to elwoodblues

If it's a regulatory issue, then it has no business going to any court unless there was an error in law.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:

It could be said that Astral's board were acting in a fiscally irresponsible manner in accepting Bell's offer since the chances of failure were so high. In some ways it just turns out to be another pump and dump stock scam.

And the Audet family were trying to unduly enrich themselves with a premium demanded for their shares.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to El Quintron

said by El Quintron:

Of course, as a corporate entity they're obliged to push it as far as it can go... in fact Astral's shares dropped by about 17% today due to the refusal... so even if Bell were to drop it, Astral's shareholders would most likely demand that the matter be pushed all the way to the SCC

If Bell drops it they owe Astral a bucket of cash, but that bucket of cash would probably end up being cheaper than taking a legal challenge like this all the way to the supreme court.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:

If it's a regulatory issue, then it has no business going to any court unless there was an error in law.

Bell will try to and claim it was an error in law, you can bet on that.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to epsilon3

If the government really wanted this decision to stick, they'd let it be known that they are going to ask the Competition Bureau to look into functional separation in the radio, television, wireless, content, wireline, and internet access businesses.

That would shut the incumbents up right quick if they knew what was good for themselves.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

They've already hinted that they aren't fond of the dominant position of the incumbents by relaxing foreign investment rules.

I suspect this ruling will be the start of a reigning in on vertical integration and market consolidation.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

And the Audet family were trying to unduly enrich themselves with a premium demanded for their shares.

Mentioning the Audet family in the same thread that Astral Media is mentioned in makes my skin crawl. Just sayin....

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged