spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Beerlord

@cox.net

[LA] Encrypting QAM

Anyone know when Cox will start encrypting QAM channels now that the FCC wimped out and allowed cable companies to do so?
Next they'll take away cable cards.

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

said by Beerlord :

Anyone know when Cox will start encrypting QAM channels now that the FCC wimped out and allowed cable companies to do so?
Next they'll take away cable cards.

You mean encrypting all QAM channels as most are already encrypted.

Put up an antenna...best money I ever spent. Very satisfying to know you're watching HD for free. Works great when the cable line is laying in the street from the storm as you watch the lights on your cable modem constantly rebooting as it tries to sync.

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

Also, we can't get one channel here (WMBB) however, with my indoor antenna, it does come in despite it's spotty.

Another advantage is you can get stuff (Cox) won't carry. and there's tons out there.

-Rob

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
reply to Beerlord

It kind of bothered me at first, but I don't think I'm going to worry about it. Cox does the universal "copy once" flag so my HTPC and Tivo's are severely limited in what they do (especially given that WMC is a crashaholic, yet it's also your only option.)

I'm going to cut the cable once my contract is up. Sickbeard is soooo much better than cable anyways, unless you're a sports fan (not me.) But if you are, there's always espn3 (which I really wish I wasn't forced into paying for.)

snipper_cr
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL
reply to Beerlord

So I just saw this post up on the BBR homepage. I always was under the impression that OTA channels have to be unencrypted on on QAM. Am I to understand that this changed at some point??
--
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
CPL:IA;ASEL/AMEL. CFI:ASE/AME; IA

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL
reply to Rakeesh

Another cable cutter, and another reason why Cox has caps, I'm next and seriously looking into buying an internet ready TV so my mom can watch her shows without it costing me $120 a month (and no premiums)

-Rob

digiblur
Premium
Louisiana

said by Rob_:

Another cable cutter, and another reason why Cox has caps, I'm next and seriously looking into buying an internet ready TV so my mom can watch her shows without it costing me $120 a month (and no premiums)

-Rob

$120?! I pay $52 after taxes for HD whole home dvr, 2 regular HD boxes that can watch any dvr content and record on the dvrs, one 5 tuner DVR, and one 2 tuner DVR, and way more channels than I need. And I hate paying the $52.

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL

Are you on some special plan? (introductory rate? ) I'd love to be paying $52 for cable.

-Rob

digiblur
Premium
Louisiana

said by Rob_:

Are you on some special plan? (introductory rate? ) I'd love to be paying $52 for cable.

-Rob

Not cable. Their third world DVRs didn't fly with me.

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL

Agreed, who are you with? I'm tired of their out of date cable boxes.

-Rob

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

1 edit

I believe he is with DIRECTV like I am for TV...