Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

[STB] Is the Moto DCT 700 a viable box

I decided today to swap out the DTA on the basement TV (hooked up to an older CRT TV via an RF input) and I requested an SD box as the TV is a tube TV (even though an HD box was the same price).

I am just wondering if the DCT 700 is a useful box or if it has any limitations.
--
I wish I still lived in Iowa; Everything there from rent and groceries to Cable TV is much cheaper in Iowa (especially with an overbuilder in town).

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
It's a decent, and tiny, box. I think it has enough memory for at least a few days worth of guide data (the ancient DCT-2000 series only hold 12-18 hours.)

Bach
Premium
join:2002-02-16
Flint, MI
reply to IowaCowboy
I've had two DCT-700's for a while now. They work fine. But they can get hot. I keep mine out in the open where they can breathe, not on top the TV, and out of direct sunlight.

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA
reply to IowaCowboy
I have one and it does the job. It's compact but gets very warm. It does VOD, is remote app capable, and has a few days of guide data. So the DCT-700, though very old, does a good job for SD television.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
said by TriForce:

I have one and it does the job. It's compact but gets very warm. It does VOD, is remote app capable, and has a few days of guide data. So the DCT-700, though very old, does a good job for SD television.

One thing you could do is clean the vents on it with a dry Q-Tip. The vents on it are groove shaped and I cleaned mine with a Q-Tip and I was surprised with all the dirt that ended up on the Q-Tip. Mine was previously used and it must have been in a dusty environment and they must have just used nothing more than compressed air to clean it. When I picked it up, I asked for a different unit because the one the clerk grabbed had stickers all over it that were not applied by CC or Moto.
--
I wish I still lived in Iowa; Everything there from rent and groceries to Cable TV is much cheaper in Iowa (especially with an overbuilder in town).