Re: [iO] New Guide Rollout

Samsung boxes are first
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM

said by WK2:

Samsung boxes are first

I don't think anyone has posted that they got the new guide on a Samsung box.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to WK2

to WK2
Wow this thread has become useless
Filled with inaccuracies and bad guesses

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to RemyM

Premium Member

to RemyM
I'm just saying what I was told by tech support
miadfinsck
join:2012-10-02

miadfinsck to RemyM

to RemyM
I received a email from Wilt today saying:
We've started Samsung and rolled a fix for some of the SA boxes that had issues
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to WK2

to WK2
said by dm145:

Wow this thread has become useless
Filled with inaccuracies and bad guesses

said by WK2:

I'm just saying what I was told by tech support

Q.E.D.

Geest
@optonline.net

Geest to miadfinsck

Anon

to miadfinsck
New patch version # 10 in diag, connecticut only samsung for now

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by Geest :

New patch version # 10 in diag, connecticut only samsung for now

I'm thinking I got this same update on my box here in NJ this AM sometime between 3:50 and 4:10.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

Indeed my 4250HDs and DVR restarted at 3:30 AM. To confirm you got the update:

To access the diagnostic menu on SA 4200 / SA 4200HD:
Hold down the center diamond key on the set top box itself until the message icon starts flashing. Then press the info key.

To access the diagnostic menu on SA 4250 / SA 4250HD / SA 8300HD:
Hold down the select button on the set top box itself until the message icon starts flashing. Then press the info key.

Use your Page Button to go up to around Page 17 and the first 3 on top...Rom Image, OS and SARA should have dates of 10/13/12 now.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

As was previously mentioned, the update was on the Samsung boxes.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

said by mbernste:

As was previously mentioned, the update was on the Samsung boxes.

New areas got Samsung downloads. The people who got the upgrade on day 1 with 8300 (DVR) and 4250 boxes got a patch last night in response to the reported bugs.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Does this mean they will fully restart the roll out?
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to frdrizzt

to frdrizzt
No Samsung update here.
cabletecht
join:2012-06-08

cabletecht

said by Bob4:

No Samsung update here.

samsungs were only in CT

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to frdrizzt

MVM

to frdrizzt
I was referring to the patch, not the new guide.

ilsno
@optonline.net

ilsno

Anon

Get the guide deployed to the Samsung boxes already. They have been hemming and hawing for weeks. As someone else stated Time Warner doesnt have this problem with their guides.
cabletecht

cabletecht

said by ilsno :

As someone else stated Time Warner doesnt have this problem with their guides.

Don't see how that matters. Completely different company. I'm sure Cablevision is far ahead of Time Warner in mostly everything else. Different companies invest in different places.

ilsno
@optonline.net

ilsno

Anon

"Completely different company"

My point is all the eager anticipation I had about the new guide is fading because of the constant delays. Cablevision shouldnt have announced it was coming in the Newsday article getting our hopes up.
cabletecht

cabletecht

You might as well let it fade away. Want them to keep rolling something out when they realize there are issues with it...so then they can hear you complain about not being happy with it because it doesn't work? Because I'm sure you will be one of the 1st complaining asking for the old one back.

anon
@optonline.net

anon

Anon

said by cabletecht:

You might as well let it fade away. Want them to keep rolling something out when they realize there are issues with it...so then they can hear you complain about not being happy with it because it doesn't work? Because I'm sure you will be one of the 1st complaining asking for the old one back.

I would just like to know what's going on. Has the rollout period been delayed, and if so, by how much? Would be nice to know which areas are getting it just to prepare ahead of time, so I'm not having issues setting up recordings when it does roll out.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

I have no issues recording with my 8300HD and the new guide. Never have. The only people with issues that have reported something here was someone who used video out to a 3rd party DVR.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

1 recommendation

Bob4

Holbrook
@optonline.net

Holbrook

Anon

The new guide is awful, trust me you don't want it. Even if you ignore the bugs and it worked flawlessly the user experience is a huge step back.

It shows the show name, episode and description on the left but the channel is on the right or the top right.

You have to move your eyes from the very bottom left of your screen all the way to the right (or upper right) to see what channel you're on.

Previously the channel was located next to the description so it was easy to see. If you're flipping channels, the channel is very relevant.

I'm flabbergasted at how they can ship it like this. It's like they did zero user testing. There's a bunch of bugs too but those are likely to be fixed in due time. Putting the channel 100 miles away from the title/description was a decision they planned for.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by Holbrook :

You have to move your eyes from the very bottom left of your screen all the way to the right (or upper right) to see what channel you're on.

OMG! You have to move your eyes to see the channel. Goodness, how lazy are you? I can't believe this is an issue for a person. Also, I can see my entire screen's contents (it's a 42 inch screen) with zero effort.

Holbrook
@optonline.net

Holbrook

Anon

said by mbernste:

OMG! You have to move your eyes to see the channel. Goodness, how lazy are you? I can't believe this is an issue for a person. Also, I can see my entire screen's contents (it's a 42 inch screen) with zero effort.

It has nothing to do with laziness. You have to adjust your eyes and focus in on 2 locations to get the same information that was available before the new version.

There's no way to perceive that as anything but a step in the wrong direction. It's the equivalent of having to click 2 things instead of 1 on a website to get the same information.

I guess I'm overly sensitive to what constitutes as good UI design because designing user interfaces is what I do for a living. Maybe regular people don't care but it's the first thing I noticed and it was a huge deal.