how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SW20 MR2

join:2007-05-03
Markham, ON

[Internet] Setting Up Non-Bell Email Account

I just had Bell 15/10 service setup at my house. I've had a Rogers email address that I've been using for many years, and I'm trying to set it up in Outlook 2007. I can receive emails no problem, but I can't send. I've tried using both Bell and Rogers SMTP servers. Is it not possible or are my settings wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

ruggs

join:2012-03-26
Ontario
Incoming mail server (POP)
POP Server: pophm.sympatico.ca
Port: 995
SSL required: Yes (Select This server requires a secure connection (SSL) or Use SSL.)

Outgoing mail server (SMTP)
SMTP Server: smtphm.sympatico.ca
Port: 25 (or 587 if port 25 does not work)
Authentication required: Yes
TLS/SSL required: Yes (Select TLS if available, if not, select SSL.)

»support.bell.ca/Internet/Email/W···ell-Mail

SW20 MR2

Markham, ON
I can log into the Rogers POP server no problem to retrieve my email, so it's the SMTP that I need to get up and running. I tried the SMTP server that you put above, but no luck.

FWIW, I haven't actually setup a Bell email account (don't need it), but they gave me a user ID and password when they setup my internet service. That one didn't work. Do I need to setup an actual email account in order to be able to log into the SMTP server?

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
Yes. You can't log into Bell's SMTP with your Rogers account credentials. Even if you do get an account Bell's server may substitute your Rogers email address with your Bell address in the From header field.

SW20 MR2

Markham, ON
That really sucks. When I was with Teksavvy, I could use their SMTP server no problem to send via my Rogers email address.

I've been putting it off, but I guess it's probably time to use my gmail account as my main account.

The_Hatta

join:2011-08-16
canada
reply to SW20 MR2
SW20 MR2 , Authenticate with your Bell account to send the rogers email,

1. Click the Tools menu, and then select Account Settings.

2. Select the email account that you want to change, and then click the Change button.

3. Click More Settings.

4. Click The "Outgoing Server" Tab,

5. Check the box that says " My outgoing server requires authentication" Then in the username and password boxes, fill in your bell account info.

You can now send your rogers email, via bells Smtp servers.

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to SW20 MR2
In this case Bell is actually being a good citizen.

Bell will not allow an email from a third party account to be delivered over its servers.

Simply; Bell servers cannot be usurped and all of us are helped since some spam will never be delivered.

Gmail does allow third party delivery.

Edit:

If your account is attached to your ISP ( Internet Service Provider) I suggest that you create a new account from an independent. Then, if you decide to change ISP's your email address dosen't change and there is no panic to get a new email address.

The best known are Microsoft (hotmail.com, hotmail.ca, live.com & live.ca) and Google (gmail.com) and Yahoo.

Perhaps more independent email systems can be provided by others on dslreports, along with their advantages or why they are preferred.

Rick.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
said by RickStep:

In this case Bell is actually being a good citizen.

Bell will not allow an email from a third party account to be delivered over its servers.

Simply; Bell servers cannot be usurped and all of us are helped since some spam will never be delivered.

Unfortunately, Bell also configured it's network such that customers cannot use third party SMTP server (from work or other email providers) that is only configured to connect via the standard port. So for example if a user needs to send work email through their own SMTP server that don't support non standard ports, then they won't be able to send any work emails at all while using Bell as their ISP.

SW20 MR2

Markham, ON
reply to SW20 MR2
Thanks for the info guys. Not what I wanted to do, but oh well.

Mister_E

join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON
reply to SW20 MR2
Also,

smtp10.bellnet.ca

should work - no authentication required.

Otherwise, see if Rogers offers STMP on a port other than 25.

rogerio

@rogers.com
roger smtp server may also require authentication, if not use bell server with autentication

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to SW20 MR2
I have 4 D-Link NAS storage devices with 2 running RAID 1 & 2 running RAID 5.

These devices will report issues via email.

The setup is as follows:

1. Create a gmail account such as 123.456@gmail.com (bogus)
2. create a password zyx987 (bogus)

User name: 123.456
Password: zyx987
SMPT Server: smtp.gmail.com
Sender E-mail: BlueBirds@sympatico.ca
Receiver E-mail: your_address@yourISP.xxx

Gmail will send from third party email addresses (from above listing BlueBirds@sympatico.ca – a non existent sympatico address).

Edit:
If you have to set them manually
1. The port is 587
2. Check the box for SMTP Authentication

Perhaps this helps.

Rick

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
y not use the rogers web mail to send email? better than nuttin? mi no no?